Beta Mini-trial rattles (Crankshaft side play!)

theotherone

Wondered if anyone out there can offer some advice.

My sons mini trial (2005 model we believe) has been making a really bad rattle.

Started to strip down the engine to check little and big ends. Both have wear, but not enough to generate the sort of volume we are getting.

Piston and barrel are ok with snug fitting piston. When I checked the clutch however I was surprised to find that if I pull and push on the main crankshaft I get movement of +/- 1 to 2mm. The nuts are tight on either end. The clutch assembly is tight on the shaft but the clutch basket also can move about. I think this could be where my noise is coming from, but not sure if the movement is normal or not.

Can anyone help with advice please?

Cheers.

All clutch baskets that i have inspected seem to move a small amount. My 01 Rev3 250 and my 09 EVO 290 both have a rattle sound at idle and when the clutch is disengaged at idle it will quiet some. I'not certain without seeing the bike if this is your bikes issue.

Hi

This is a 50cc mini trial auto.

The basket having a small amount of play I can understand, but the crankshaft moving side to side is a worry.

In my mind the crankshaft should have no side movement, but this moves a lot. Am I right in thinking this way? Should the crankshaft really be able to "float" laterally by 1 to 2mm?

Maybe a mini trial owner could check theirs?