Rear wheel help!

zoogpooz

What air pressure do you usually run in the back tire?

Jon

Just bought the bike off someone two weeks ago , first bike ever.

So I don't really know much.

Have inflated the tyres up til they were reasonably hard last week , now they have went flat again and I haven't been on it.

Just bought the bike off someone two weeks ago , first bike ever.

So I don't really know much.

Have inflated the tyres up til they were reasonably hard last week , now they have went flat again and I haven't been on it.

You may want to check the tire for small leaks. We normally run about 4 psi in the rear tires when riding (and about 6 psi in the front). They are tubeless so a small leak can be fixed with a tubeless tire repair kit and you won't have to take the tire off to do it.

Jon

You may want to check the tire for small leaks. We normally run about 4 psi in the rear tires when riding (and about 6 psi in the front). They are tubeless so a small leak can be fixed with a tubeless tire repair kit and you won't have to take the tire off to do it.

Jon

Oh right , well I'll have a look tomorrow.

How do i check ?

Fill the tire, get the rear wheel off the ground, squirt some soapy water on it and look for bubbles.

And...at the risk of sounding like an a-hole...this is unbelievably basic mechanical stuff...if you don't know it, you really need to hang around with some experienced riders and have them help you with your bike.

You could easily have stuff wrong (or stuff could go wrong) with your bike that could hurt you (or your bike) very badly if you don't know how to recognize that it's wrong.

Its normal for a tire to lose a little air in-between rides. Most trials riders will use a bicycle pump and add/check the tire air pressure before each daily ride. If the tire will hold pressure while you ride, then its really not a major problem - just a little inconvenient. There is a band on the inside of the rim that seals the air in the tire and prevents it from leaking out the spoke holes. Many times, the seal of this band is imperfect and will slowly leak. They are a PITA to seal 100% for even a experienced tire changer, so even replacing it is no guarantee you wont still have to add air each time you ride.

If the tire is going completely flat in one day, thats a pretty bad leak. Using the above method of soapy water, you should be able to find where the leak is - out the spokes, between the tire and rim, tire puncture, valve stem. Check that out and get back to us.

Its normal for a tire to lose a little air in-between rides. Most trials riders will use a bicycle pump and add/check the tire air pressure before each daily ride. If the tire will hold pressure while you ride, then its really not a major problem - just a little inconvenient. There is a band on the inside of the rim that seals the air in the tire and prevents it from leaking out the spoke holes. Many times, the seal of this band is imperfect and will slowly leak. They are a PITA to seal 100% for even a experienced tire changer, so even replacing it is no guarantee you wont still have to add air each time you ride.

If the tire is going completely flat in one day, thats a pretty bad leak. Using the above method of soapy water, you should be able to find where the leak is - out the spokes, between the tire and rim, tire puncture, valve stem. Check that out and get back to us.

I have had the bike apart today and fixed every major problem. My rear wheel is in the safe hands of my uncle who is an experienced rider and is a brilliant mechanic , he should get it sorted .. I'll let you all know how I get on. Had problems bleeding the rear brake today , the fluid wouldn't go through the pipe , it would just sit in the reservoir .. i think I need a special tool to give it pressure while I pump the fluid.

I have had the bike apart today and fixed every major problem. My rear wheel is in the safe hands of my uncle who is an experienced rider and is a brilliant mechanic , he should get it sorted .. I'll let you all know how I get on. Had problems bleeding the rear brake today , the fluid wouldn't go through the pipe , it would just sit in the reservoir .. i think I need a special tool to give it pressure while I pump the fluid.

Make sure that the rod that goes from the lever up into the M/C has a little slack (the piston in the M/C has to drop down completely to the stop at the circlip, same as the front brake/clutch M/C's). Sometimes taking the rod out and using a Phillips screwdriver to push up on the piston will give a lot more travel and make bleeding a lot easier.

Jon