240 Gearbox Question

monty-python

I have recently acquired a 240 fantic and have found that it has a tendency to find neutral from both 1st and 2nd gear.(slipping out of gear) This is getting to be Bl*%$y annoying. any ides what the cause and remedy may be. I have the engine out of the frame at the moment and am about to start twinling the old spanners.

Also does anyone know of a disc braked front end which will fit without too many skinned knuckles and sweary words. (The brakes on it are as effective as putting my feet down , and i have narrowly avoided a few trees with my kamikaze techniques on steep down hills)

Thanks in advance for any help!!

The most likely cause is worn teeth and or the dogs on 1st and second gears. The only way to tell is to open up the gearbox

Any of the later model fantics 301 to 309 ( also the 212, 156 & 125 bikes, eg 245 ) will give you a much better front brake If you can get the complete front end from a 305 series. Not only do you get a better brake but also the handlebar mounts are further forward, giving a more comfortable position and it is lighter as well.

I hope this helps

Martin

I have recently acquired a 240 fantic and have found that it has a tendency to find neutral from both 1st and 2nd gear.(slipping out of gear) This is getting to be Bl*%$y annoying. any ides what the cause and remedy may be. I have the engine out of the frame at the moment and am about to start twinling the old spanners.

Also does anyone know of a disc braked front end which will fit without too many skinned knuckles and sweary words. (The brakes on it are as effective as putting my feet down , and i have narrowly avoided a few trees with my kamikaze techniques on steep down hills)

Thanks in advance for any help!!

A mate of mine has a full disc brake setup for sale, Wheel, fork legs, caliper etc etc.

It's all quite new,I'm sure he wouldn't want the earth for it..... mail me for his phone number if your interested.

• 3 weeks later...