Montesa 242

hondapaul

Hello All, This is my first time on Trials Central so please forgive me if I appear to be asking something really dim. I am getting back into trials after a long layoff (30 years!!!!) I have a Montesa 242 that I bought some time ago with the intention of getting it back up to decent condition ready to ride. However I have hit a problem in that it could do with a rebore and next size piston but I have been told that the barrel is nicosil plated so you can't rebore it and that pistons are very difficult to obtain. Is there another piston that with some minor machining may do the trick or will I have to bite the bullet and look for a replacement barrel and piston. Really appreciate any advise on this as after watching the Scott Trial for the first time since my teens I am really keen to get back to my youth.

Cheers

Paul

Well they're right. You can't rebore a nikasil barrel. BUT you can have them replated. Try Langcourt.

About the piston, if you haven't already tried Sandifords, then try Southwest Montesa. There's also a ton of Spanish suppliers. Others, I'm sure, will pitch in to add to the list. The 242 is a popular bike in the Spanish twinshock scene so there's probably a source out there somewhere. Patience and diligence should see you right.

Good bike the 242. Just go easy on the gearbox. It's not the most rugged and, if you thought the piston was a nightmare, gearbox spares are non existant.

Edited by TooFastTim

Hi many thanks for the information, I will follow it up tomorrow. The last time I was trialing was at schoolboy level on an Ossa 250 MAR so if I get it fixed I am looking forward to doing some local twin shock events. Once again many thanks

regards

Paul