swing arm bushes

bondy

hi guys just need abit of addvice ive just had my swing arm powder coated i took the old bushes out .and im replaceing with new ones of bultaco uk they have to kits to buy so i got the brass. and steel kit more money but seem more like the reel ones anyway i want to know is it worth me drilling the brass sleave to take the grease nipel? or would i be ok just puting loads of grease in before i put the swing arm back together? i did put the needel rolling bush kit on my other bult .and didnt bother with the grease nipels but the bike hasnt been used sinc restoring. allso i had the yoks powder coaded i told the guy i didnt want the shaft powder coated as i have to slide the bottom dust cover on. and the bottom race did he liten no he taped the threads up but just painted the middel bit of the shaft why i dont know i havand tryed puting the dust cover .and race on but i know there pritty tight going on so with a layer of powder coated paint its gonner be hard puting them on so any ideas how to get the paint of with out any damage thanks bondy

Much better to pull the swingarm out to grease the bushes anyway than to use a grease gun

Removing powder coating - its just plastic that melts as it is heated so if you can heat it enough to soften the coating without wrecking the coating on the areas you want to keep coated, then just use a paint scraper. If it was me I would use an electric industrial heat gun (paint stripper gun)to locally heat the steering stem and scrape it off as it softens and bubbles.

Much better to pull the swingarm out to grease the bushes anyway than to use a grease gun

Removing powder coating - its just plastic that melts as it is heated so if you can heat it enough to soften the coating without wrecking the coating on the areas you want to keep coated, then just use a paint scraper. If it was me I would use an electric industrial heat gun (paint stripper gun)to locally heat the steering stem and scrape it off as it softens and bubbles.

thanks for the addvice ive managed to get the new dust cover on ok so i might get the bottom race on hopfully without taking any paint off. ive noticed the stem is abit thinner in the middel .and steps out just abit at the top.and bottom think this is so its a tight fit it wasnt easy taking it of anyway ill give it ago thanks again bondy

thanks for the addvice ive managed to get the new dust cover on ok so i might get the bottom race on hopfully without taking any paint off. ive noticed the stem is abit thinner in the middel .and steps out just abit at the top.and bottom think this is so its a tight fit it wasnt easy taking it of anyway ill give it ago thanks again bondy

If you put on some grease for rubber on the inside of the dust cover they will get mounted very easy and you can get them off with ease later, (in a couple of years or so), too. Without they can stick very well and it can be difficult to get them demounted. Don't use normal grease this can in the long run harm the rubber or transform to a "glue" so they stick better).

Grease nipples for the rocker bushing will only work if you have grooves in the bushing that will give the grease the possibility getting around. The Italjet Piumas had brass bushings too and had grease nipples and these grooves inside, looking like a horizontal eight that is wrapped so both ends are connected together.

If you just drill a hole an mount a grease nipple the grease will rather come out to the sides (shorter distance) the reach the opposite side of the bushing. (If the rocker would rotate 360