315r silencer question

sharkbait

Took the silencer off my (new to me) '98 315r yesterday and it rattled. Looking in at the front end I can see the inner perforated tube but it's not connected at either end and has dropped down into where the packing used to be!

Presuming it is actually meant to be connected to each end piece I'm guessing the old tube has corroded/broken. Anybody know if the tube is straight or does it curve inside the silencer?

Also, is it possible to get replacements?

Original piece was "S" shaped and was located by the end caps at either end. Should be surrounded by packing to prevent rattling. Mine rattled as they are not a tight fit so when I repacked mine I ditched the S-shaped pipe and just inserted a stratight piece of tube that I had taken the time to drill lots of holes into, works excellently!

If you are not that ambitious just repack the old S-tube and reinsert into the canister and locate on the end caps.

Original piece was "S" shaped and was located by the end caps at either end. Should be surrounded by packing to prevent rattling. Mine rattled as they are not a tight fit so when I repacked mine I ditched the S-shaped pipe and just inserted a stratight piece of tube that I had taken the time to drill lots of holes into, works excellently!

If you are not that ambitious just repack the old S-tube and reinsert into the canister and locate on the end caps.

Nice one, thanks Canada. I'll take it apart and have a look to see what can be done. Is the straight pipe noisier than the original? I would have thought it would be.

It is not any noisier, I actually prefer the sound and feel of the straight through pipe. The gtone of the silencer will be dictated by how much packihg you put around the pipe. Don't pack too tight, the exhaust noise is reduced if the sound can expand throught the centre pipe holes andbe absorbed by the packing. You should pack firmly enough so that the pipe is surrounded completely but not tyoo tight that there is no "give" in the packing. The "give" is what allows the noise to be partially absorbed by the packing

It is not any noisier, I actually prefer the sound and feel of the straight through pipe.

Took the end cap off and the baffle tube is broken into two pieces and is missing some bits. About 30% of the packing was also missing! Can't find any 1" perforated tube so I'll probably get some 1.5", cut it and roll it into 1" diameter then repack. Hopefully this should make a difference.