Which villiers engine

ben3010

Hello everyone, right then, a pre65 James with a villiers 8e in, now I want to stay within the spirit of pre65 so, can anyone advise on the best engine eg stick with what I have or go for a 32a? Also what sort of mods can be done for better performance to either of these engines? Any advice greatly received just don't start on "the spirit" issue - each to his/her own, :agreed:

Hello everyone, right then, a pre65 James with a villiers 8e in, now I want to stay within the spirit of pre65 so, can anyone advise on the best engine eg stick with what I have or go for a 32a? Also what sort of mods can be done for better performance to either of these engines? Any advice greatly received just don't start on "the spirit" issue - each to his/her own, :agreed:

8e, 9e, 32a whichever you fancy. some prefer the alloy square barrel if so would have to be 9e or 32a. Best mod IMHO is to fit electronic ignition but as you want to stay within the spirit of pre65 then thats a no no isnt it? only other thing you can do is fit a efficient exhaust and air box which does help a lot.

8e, 9e, 32a whichever you fancy. some prefer the alloy square barrel if so would have to be 9e or 32a. Best mod IMHO is to fit electronic ignition but as you want to stay within the spirit of pre65 then thats a no no isnt it? only other thing you can do is fit a efficient exhaust and air box which does help a lot.

Hmmn, well that's a good start, so what can be done to the engine to give it a bit more grunt? Bore out? Skimmed head? Porting and Crankcase stuffing plates? Full circle crank? Oh also, good suppliers of James parts???

Edited by ben3010

Hmmn, well that's a good start, so what can be done to the engine to give it a bit more grunt? Bore out? Skimmed head? Porting and Crankcase stuffing plates? Full circle crank? Oh also, good suppliers of James parts???

Hello there. Worth finding a Villiers 1H piston (225cc) and boring the barrel out. I have a 6E with a 1H +20 thou piston. There were works James's of the day modified in this manner and so were elibible for the "over 200cc class". And I'd say keep your bob weights - they'll find you grip in the mud!!!