Eco tranny trouble

toothandnail

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

Update on tranny troubles , He ended up taking it back to the dealer , as he would help on the parts $$ , it was a needle bearing that failed , not sure which one , messed up alot of parts/gears $900.00+ in parts.

I am working on the third transmission from friends bikes in the past 6 months. The split needle bearing in the transmission is coming apart causing all sorts of havoc; if I have seen three in a few months, how often is this happening in other areas? This is on top of the usual kick start pawl/idler, and shift drum follower issues. I guess the fix is a three month warrantee!

I am working on the third transmission from friends bikes in the past 6 months. The split needle bearing in the transmission is coming apart causing all sorts of havoc; if I have seen three in a few months, how often is this happening in other areas? This is on top of the usual kick start pawl/idler, and shift drum follower issues. I guess the fix is a three month warrantee!

Be sure to replace the gear/shaft along with the split needle bearing. The floating gear's internal bore is essentially the outer race of the bearing and if damaged at all and not replaced will damage any new bearing.

Jon

Be sure to replace the gear/shaft along with the split needle bearing. The floating gear's internal bore is essentially the outer race of the bearing and if damaged at all and not replaced will damage any new bearing.

Jon

I have been doing that Jon for just the reasons that you point out. I have yet to take one apart that hadn't damaged the ground surfaces of the floating gear and the shaft.

Spencer

From talking to him ,+ dealer/repair shop . Sounds exactally what you describe, happened messed up pretty much every thing in "tranny" :chairfall: .

Neither said how much $$$ it was , but owner hinted about 1/2 of what he paid for the bike .

Also talked to previous owner , who told him to get tranny looked at , it did take a hard hit to the shifter side, maybe hit the shift shaft.