TY Mono Larger Airbox

gadget1

Wow those spacers really do go high!..

I used to have 7350 Renthals, which are only a fraction (1/2 inch) higher than the common 6600 ones.. not sure if they use these designations now!

Baldilocks

Standard cc was about 246/247.. when you look at it 262 is less than 7% increase... not mind blowing! The main improvements were porting/inlet length and setting the reeds.

One thing that other manufacturers never seemed to get anywhere near was the clutch... the TY clutch was light and bullet proof... never had one lock (fail to disengage due to overheating!) so they worked great on cable... unlike TYZ and 311 Mont.

As I mentioned before, the bike was more laid back in terms of fork angles and weight position . cant recall weight? 83kg?... dunno (Lighter than the first Rotax engined Scorpa anyway!) All this contributed to the Yams lack of agility.

Wasn't Tony Scarlett riding a 330cc at some point? A hybrid of the 250 / 350 parts bin? 250 stroke, 350 bore?

Seem to remember him having the bigger capacity for BTC and world rounds.

330cc would be nice.

I sometimes think too much is made of airbox size. My KT had the smallest airbox I think I've seen on a trials bike, there is virtually no space between the filter and the box and the inlet was tiny. But that bike would rev like hell and never ran out of air.

Same for my old model 92 325 Sherpa. A crude and tiny airbox with a dismal filter arrangement. But again, revs like hell, loads of power and never runs out of air.

Edited by Woody

Effective filter area is most important... any volume (apart from larger ID 'tubing'allowing easier flow) does nothing, as you cant really drag the air out of the volume unless its replaced somehow e.g. through the effective filter area.

Scarlett had a 330, but I'm not sure if he rode it all the time..I think having the option was confusing! I remember we were practising on a waterfall section (at Eadonfield) and he kept swapping bikes (between 250 and 330) as he couldn't clean it on either!... It was just one of those sections, as I was doing it easy on my S model :blink: