Gearbox Oil Drain Plug Thread Repair

raffles

Hi, Guys

I have a 199A and the thread is stripped on the gearbox where the oil drain plug fits. I believe that it requires a helicoil thread inserting in order to effect a repair. I have no experience of such procedures. Do I need to remove the engine? Do I have to strip the engine? Can I just take the bike down to a repair shop and have the work done with the bike complete as it is?

Edited by Raffles

Hi, Guys

I have a 199A and the thread is stripped on the gearbox where the oil drain plug fits. I believe that it requires a helicoil thread inserting in order to effect a repair. I have no experience of such procedures. Do I need to remove the engine? Do I have to strip the engine? Can I just take the bike down to a repair shop and have the work done with the bike complete as it is?

You should be able to take the complete bike. It is not difficult do do, you just need to find a competant soul to do it. Best not left to amatures, so an experienced mechanic or machinist is best. Just ask how many they have done! I have done hundreds! :thumbup:

You should be able to take the complete bike. It is not difficult do do, you just need to find a competant soul to do it. Best not left to amatures, so an experienced mechanic or machinist is best. Just ask how many they have done! I have done hundreds! :thumbup:

as above you only get 1 go at this thus needs doing right it would be easier and poss get a better job if you take the engine in ,id try a local vehicle engine/head reconditioning shop as they do this type of work dailey

Hi, Guys. Thanks for the replies.

I took the bike down to a local machine shop for the repair work to be done as I didn't have the facilities or the confidence to undertake the work myself. They winced a little when they realised that I'd brought the whole bike along but they did the work and charged me