new bikes maintenance

fhtrucker

hi...just bought a 08 beta rev 3 200 and on browsing the forum, there seems to be a lot of advise with regard to changing oils every 10 ish hours and pistons every 50-100 hours and carb cleaning after every ride???? is this type of maintenance really necessary????

i used to ride old beamish and yamaha for 20 odd years with same piston and sensible oil changes..every 6 months or so and never cleaned the carb.

are the new bikes lesser quality and how come new beta p*** out fuel from the carb???

thought things should be better now???

sounds like Skoda from the past may be making them all now if parts only last this long???

any thoughts??

Welcome and congratulations on such an ace choice of bike.

Betas do like to dribble. There are various cures but my 200 still weeps a bit. Have a look at the Beta carb fix thread and you will find various fixes. I drain my carb every month or so and thats it - maybe not for six months if only dry riding (mind you Betas seem self draining most of the time).

As for Gbox oil. Use light gear oil or ATF. I change mine every 10-20 hours of riding. Keeps your clutch sweet and box slick. You could try going for longer and change as soon as things stop working as sweet?

Clean you air filter and re oil every 5 rides or when dirty. I have a spare so I don't have to wait for the old one to dry etc. Just swap and go.

Does your motor have a top end/barrel rattle at all on tick over and low revs? Mine does and it is an 07. My thought is I may change the piston kit in the spring or if it gets really knocky.

Modern bikes are light weight super skinny models and suffer quickly with no maintenance. Older bikes were not so highly strung and could take a lot more abuse. I am sure the 200 will get you more places than the Beamish though.

Use good oil as your premix and enjoy it. You should be able to judge when things are in need of sorting out.

Happy trialing dude!

Edited by pindie

it is a nice bike to ride compared to the 2 ton beamish, thats for sure

it does not seem to have any top end rattle that i can hear, but the leaking carb is a pain..good job i dont smoke...do the carb mods fix the problem as lampkin say they supply a kit for parts that wear in the carb but did not say it was a mod to the carb...also, they said it is meant to leak a bit which sounds crazy!!!

Welcome and congratulations on such an ace choice of bike.

Betas do like to dribble. There are various cures but my 200 still weeps a bit. Have a look at the Beta carb fix thread and you will find various fixes. I drain my carb every month or so and thats it - maybe not for six months if only dry riding (mind you Betas seem self draining most of the time).

As for Gbox oil. Use light gear oil or ATF. I change mine every 10-20 hours of riding. Keeps your clutch sweet and box slick. You could try going for longer and change as soon as things stop working as sweet?

Clean you air filter and re oil every 5 rides or when dirty. I have a spare so I don't have to wait for the old one to dry etc. Just swap and go.

Does your motor have a top end/barrel rattle at all on tick over and low revs? Mine does and it is an 07. My thought is I may change the piston kit in the spring or if it gets really knocky.

Modern bikes are light weight super skinny models and suffer quickly with no maintenance. Older bikes were not so highly strung and could take a lot more abuse. I am sure the 200 will get you more places than the Beamish though.

Use good oil as your premix and enjoy it. You should be able to judge when things are in need of sorting out.

Happy trialing dude!

I can't comment on what Lampkins say as they are the main people and I am just a flawed genius. Be a bit weird if they are designed to leak! Set up is probably critical to getting it right.

My bike has the tell tale holes in the overflow pipes which means mine has had some or all of the mods done to stop it leaking at some stage. It drips rather than leaks. Bear in mind this is after chucking it about for 10 min though. Mine always drips when I stop for 2 seconds or so then stops. If I am stopping proper I turn the fuel off.

The bike runs well and does not stall etc no matter what angle it is at so I am not going to be fiddling any more as i may end up with larger snags. I did tape catch bottles on the pipe to see how much I lose and it was a max of 150ml over a tank full - I feel I can cope with that. I'd rather it not leak but it does as so do most Betas. They also shake bolts loose for a pastime.

I would still buy another 200 though, I love it!

I run Castrol A747 pre mix oil as it is biodegradable as well. The petrol evaporates?