No Spark...?

comerconstructionman

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I picked up a Sherco 290 09 and all was going well. The Guy a got it from is local and friendly and told me when I brought the bike that the stator had been changed due to the original stator dying. The bike was running great and dandy untill last week when I went to start it and it wouldnt start. No spark whstsoever from the plug, tried new plug but still no spark. Its with my local bike mechanic at the moment and the stator is fine in his opinion and producing the correct ohms. Hes also checked the coil which is fine...

My question is could it be the CDI unit and if so wheres the best place to get one?

Nick

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I picked up a Sherco 290 09 and all was going well. The Guy a got it from is local and friendly and told me when I brought the bike that the stator had been changed due to the original stator dying. The bike was running great and dandy untill last week when I went to start it and it wouldnt start. No spark whstsoever from the plug, tried new plug but still no spark. Its with my local bike mechanic at the moment and the stator is fine in his opinion and producing the correct ohms. Hes also checked the coil which is fine...

My question is could it be the CDI unit and if so wheres the best place to get one?

Nick

Seems you will likely need to find a pal near that will allow you to swap over a few parts for testing or contact someone like Splatshop Chris to send you out a care package of goods for sorting.

After checking earths and eliminating the kill button, coil and CDI are next easiest, then the stator.

Reports on coil and CDI failures seem rare, yet still possible, stators seem the most problematic still, and for the most part one has no good way of dynamic testing any of it, add the resistance readings seem futile at best.

See if you can find when the stator was done, and by whom, as possible warranty. I think they may allow 6 months. :rolleyes:

Seems you will likely need to find a pal near that will allow you to swap over a few parts for testing or contact someone like Splatshop Chris to send you out a care package of goods for sorting.

After checking earths and eliminating the kill button, coil and CDI are next easiest, then the stator.

Reports on coil and CDI failures seem rare, yet still possible, stators seem the most problematic still, and for the most part one has no good way of dynamic testing any of it, add the resistance readings seem futile at best.

See if you can find when the stator was done, and by whom, as possible warranty. I think they may allow 6 months. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply coppermech. Matt my mechanic is picking up another Sherco on Monday to do exactly what you suggested. The stator was fitted just before I purchased the bike from splat shop but was a reconditioned one. The warranty is still valid as I have spoken to the guy I got it from. I think the easy thing to do would be to change the stator and try it.

N

Before spending any money or involving yourself in unnecessary works check the connections from the newly fitted stator. The Sherco connector plugs are very poor quality and it is possible that the connections are not being correctly made. On a stator that I recently fitted I had to push each of the connector pins together with long thin snipe nosed pliers as the pins were simply being pushed out of the connector plugs rather than mating with one and other correctly.

Before spending any money or involving yourself in unnecessary works check the connections from the newly fitted stator. The Sherco connector plugs are very poor quality and it is possible that the connections are not being correctly made. On a stator that I recently fitted I had to push each of the connector pins together with long thin snipe nosed pliers as the pins were simply being pushed out of the connector plugs rather than mating with one and other correctly.

Thanks Raffles ill give it a go.

N

Well its the stator, after a process of elimination with parts from an 2010 bike it was the stator. New one on the way.

Well good you got some sorting done and hopefully some warranty onit. Steve at Motoplat UK is the one who fixes these things and has a good reputation it seems, yet as anything electronic, crap happens! :thumbup:

There is no such language as ''British''

Bye the way, what word do you Yanks use for ''earth''?

Shocking! :blink:

There's "American" so I thought there'd be "British", too.

Because in American we write "By" the way, and in British, it's obviously "Bye" the way.

Ever heard anybody speak Alabamese or Yorksish?

Next you'll be telling me that those aren't real languages either!

And for "Earth" we use the REAL word...."ground"

And it's ALWAYS negative. ;)

Shocking! :blink:

There's "American" so I thought there'd be "British", too.

Because in American we write "By" the way, and in British, it's obviously "Bye" the way.

Ever heard anybody speak Alabamese or Yorksish?

Next you'll be telling me that those aren't real languages either!

And for "Earth" we use the REAL word...."ground"

And it's ALWAYS negative. ;)

Yes, it is "ground" or "grounds", plural! Yet at the same time I have been around here long enough to know!

Fact is, even I seem to recall some vehicles thet were Positive ground, but cannot recall which! The term "observe proper polarity" still comes to mind! :rolleyes:

I think everything in Austrailia works that way, including compasses and toilets, everything works backwards! Seems in the UK it is just the roads! :thumbup: