315r gear oil

motomanandy

Ive tried a few gear oils now over the last 3 months 4 to be exact,

motal

putoline light gear

castrol

and atf

my conclusion is the ATF was by far the best for a few reasons

: Clutch warm-up takes less time i no longer have to wait and hold the cluch in for the plates to release on 'cold' gear engagement.

:Noticably less clutch noise while feathering under load.

:cost.

Has anyone tried anything similar and found different results?

I had a long chat with a mate on another forum who works in the automotive fluids industry after hearing people used ATF in their gearboxes.

Cut a long story short, there's no problem using ATF at all. It may break down a little quicker, but that's it.

I buy it by the gallon from a motor factor and change it often - every other ride usually.

That said, you never hear a word said against Elf HTX. It's clearly the daddy, but at a cost.

I've tried Mobil-1 synthetic ATF, and I've tried BelRay GearSaver 80W tranny oil. BelRay works better IMO. I have no issues with stuck plates or clutch drag. You can get it at most bike shops and on-line. BTW, I don't know if it matters any, but I noticed that when I drain the ATF it smells really nasty, whereas BelRay does not.

On my list of things to try is AC Delco/GM transfer case fluid. It is blue (pretty color!) and I use it in my kid's bikes with auto clutches, but haven't tried it in my Mont yet. A friend with GG uses it and likes it. It is available from any GM dealer, but unfortunately auto parts stores don't carry it.

I have just switched to BelRay Gear Saver from Maxima and am very impressed so far with the feel of the clutch. I was considering trying ATF but the Belray was only a few bucks more so thought I would give it a shot first, feels great even in the cold of Canada

• 1 month later...

I know that Elf Htx 740 is a great oil, but officially speaking it's not the perfect one.

Quotes:

"HTX 740 is ideal for Motorbikes with dry clutches."

HTX 740 contains "FRICTIONAL MODIFIER:

Additive used to reduce the coefficient of friction on oiled parts, thus improving their mechanical

efficiency."

"Friction modifiers in automotive oils tend to provide increased frictional reduction and offset a portion of the fuel economy lost when the U.S. Government mandated a reformulated gasoline for emissions requirements. However these friction modifiers can be detrimental to proper wet clutch operation and can cause slippage and other potential performance issues..."

In reality it doesn't really make problems, but it may cause clutch slipping when the clutch plates or the springs are not 100% perfect.

This very light oil is better and makes the clutch less prone to drag problems (because it's viscosity is lower):

http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/store_item.php?product=10281

It's cheaper, too, and most important, it doesn't contain friction modifiers so it's compatible with wet clutch bikes.