Refinishing pegs and stand

sharkbait

Decided my old 315 needs a little facelift. The pegs and sidestand are proper bashed around with very little of the original silver remaining so I thought I might make them look better.

I was thinking of having them blasted then [hopefully] painting them myself. Is this a pointless exercise and should I go with powedercoating instead?

If paint is OK anybody suggest something that would work?

Cheers.

There is no way around it....pegs and stand are always going to get scratched and banged up. I painted my stand with a silver paint as close to the alloy swingarm as I could find, I always keep a can of the same silver handy so that when I am tinkering I can whip it off and quickly respray.

For the footpeg hangers, I just used a paint-on semi gloss (armor coat here in Canada) but Hammerite would also do the trick, again, I keep a small can of the paint handy and re-paint them during downtime if they are particularly beat-up.

I miss cheshire!

Edited by Canada315

Decided my old 315 needs a little facelift. The pegs and sidestand are proper bashed around with very little of the original silver remaining so I thought I might make them look better.

I was thinking of having them blasted then [hopefully] painting them myself. Is this a pointless exercise and should I go with powedercoating instead?

If paint is OK anybody suggest something that would work?

Cheers.

chrome plated

Powder coating and plating are good - but not perfect. Powder coating and plating are not good at getting into seams and rust can show up quickly wherever seams occur. If you use powder coating or plating I suggest you put some silver paint into the seams - then wipe off the excess and allow the paint to remain in the seams for rust protection.

Paint is better at getting into the seams - but can be easily chipped or scratched if the paint type is brittle or soft. Epoxy paints are the most durable if you can find one that matches the silver color you need.

Powder coating and plating are not good at getting into seams

Paint is better at getting into the seams -

Actually read---MOST powder coaters and platers are not good at getting in the seams, not the product but the application ;)

Edited by marky boy