Fork Set-up

lewisallen

right iv had my bike 2days and im just trying to get my head around various things,main problem i have at the moment is, how do i stiffen up my forks?? theres two nobs on the top of my forks black on left red on right, what does what?and is there any specific way to set my forks to my weight?? its a 2002 gas gas txt 280..thanks :kerstsmiley:

right iv had my bike 2days and im just trying to get my head around various things,main problem i have at the moment is, how do i stiffen up my forks?? theres two nobs on the top of my forks black on left red on right, what does what?and is there any specific way to set my forks to my weight?? its a 2002 gas gas txt 280..thanks :kerstsmiley:

How much do you weigh?

The knobs are for fine-tuning the suspension damping, black/left for compression and red/right (red=right=rebound) for rebound. The 02' forks work well with the black all the way out and the red all the way in (bottom the screws lightly so as to not damage the internals).

Jon

How much do you weigh?

The knobs are for fine-tuning the suspension damping, black/left for compression and red/right (red=right=rebound) for rebound. The 02' forks work well with the black all the way out and the red all the way in (bottom the screws lightly so as to not damage the internals).

Jon

thanks Jon, im 13stone

thanks Jon, im 13stone

At 182 lbs and a beginner rider, the stock springs should work for you. You can stiffen the front by making a preload spacer about 10mm longer than the stock one in each fork.

Since it's a used bike, you will want to refresh all the fluids and lube all the necessary points (assume that the previous owner did not do anything just to be safe) including the rear suspension dogbones.

The front forks take 300cc's of 5 weight fork oil in each leg.

Jon

At 182 lbs and a beginner rider, the stock springs should work for you. You can stiffen the front by making a preload spacer about 10mm longer than the stock one in each fork.

Since it's a used bike, you will want to refresh all the fluids and lube all the necessary points (assume that the previous owner did not do anything just to be safe) including the rear suspension dogbones.

The front forks take 300cc's of 5 weight fork oil in each leg.

Jon

ok thanks jon ill have a look tomorrow after work and see how much difference the adjusters make and ill go from there

ok thanks jon ill have a look tomorrow after work and see how much difference the adjusters make and ill go from there

Be sure to actually test them by riding section type terrain. You can't really tell by changing the adjustment and pushing up and down on the forks like most rider's think. They make a bigger difference at a higher speed/movement of the fork leg and shock shaft.

Jon

So no compression damping, and full rebound damping?

That would mean the forks would compress really easily and fast, but would come back really slow.

Can you explain the logic behind doing this? I would have thought faster rebound would be better....and that more compression damping would help as well given how hard we slam into obstacles at times....wouldn't that lift the rear better?

Just trying to understand....

Thanks!

Edited by PurpleBeast