2008 250 need help new bike

andyj007

hi guys..

picked up a lovely hardly used 250 2008 its is like as new and not been used at all last year.. it started when i picked it up

but it wont go now..

ive no manual as such..

im thinking bad fuel and blocked jets.. plug is sparking although not the biggest spark like my KTM 250 is this normal? ive just removed the fuel tank...

it is leaking slightly around the on/off valve if its pushed slightly slideways )noticed when removing the fuel pipe. looks like the valve is clamped via a rubber grommet to the tank so should be an easy fix

should the fuel hose to tap have a clamp when i put it back on like a jubilee clip or twisted wire?

regarding the little choke lever.. up is on down is off?...

if someone could give me a quick few pointers about cleaning the carb and the next stage that would be great...

and is there a starting proceduere? like you need to pull the clutch in??

any help greatly appreciated..

#regards

Andy

whats the make of bike buddy,,

Hmmm...posted in the sherco section ??

Anyway, the fact that it hasn't been used in over a year tells me possibly gummed up carb with old fuel, clean the carb thoroughly and clean out the tank with a swish of new fuel and then re fuel tank, re fit, my guess all will be good after that.

Sorted...

took it all apart.... how easy was that... simple... back together.... first kick.... and away she goes!..

what might have helped is that once the tank is off i realised that the choke needs pushing virtually upright until it goes past a hold point... i was merely lifting it a touch..

quick ride round the garden its perfect.. think we are going to get on just fine..

thanks foe the help...

couple more questions..

what fuel mix should i run it on.. i put some 60:1 as thats what i had mixed up..

i have downloaded the parts booklet... is there a owners manuel?

also any other little tips about ownership?

i have also noted that no one seems to posts piccies of there bikes or no picture thread why is that?

kind regards

Andy

Edited by andyj007

Sorted...

took it all apart.... how easy was that... simple... back together.... first kick.... and away she goes!..

what might have helped is that once the tank is off i realised that the choke needs pushing virtually upright until it goes past a hold point... i was merely lifting it a touch..

quick ride round the garden its perfect.. think we are going to get on just fine..

thanks foe the help...

couple more questions..

what fuel mix should i run it on.. i put some 60:1 as thats what i had mixed up..

i have downloaded the parts booklet... is there a owners manuel?

also any other little tips about ownership?

i have also noted that no one seems to posts piccies of there bikes or no picture thread why is that?

kind regards

Andy

The majority run the bikes at 80:1 ratio of high quality full synthetic as long as you are not doing extended roadwork. Iff putting excessively you can go as high as 100:1, yet at all times it is best to occasionally give it a good run to get some heat in the thing and blow out excess grunge from the muff as not to clog things up. Excess oil is not neccessarily a good thing!

There is a wealth of info HERE or you can go to the Sherco site that is pinned under service manuals at the top of the Sherco section.

There are piccies in the Garage section of this site!

High points of Sherco maintenance:

I would say keep the rear shock linkage clean, inspected and overpacked with waterproof grease and replace worn components comes first.

Ck and re grease the steering stem bearings for the same reasons. Stay off these items with the powerwasher as not to blow water in.

Pull your wheel axle shafts ang grease them lightly to insure they do not corrode into place due to water entry! Same for the swingarm shaft! Folk that let these things go for years have problems!

Go over rest of bike ckecking bolts, many such as engine bolts you may want to remove ant treat with anti-siexe compound so they do not ever get stuck due to corrosion over time.

Things like this are simply an ounce of prevention! :thumbup:

The majority run the bikes at 80:1 ratio of high quality full synthetic as long as you are not doing extended roadwork. Iff putting excessively you can go as high as 100:1, yet at all times it is best to occasionally give it a good run to get some heat in the thing and blow out excess grunge from the muff as not to clog things up. Excess oil is not neccessarily a good thing!

There is a wealth of info HERE or you can go to the Sherco site that is pinned under service manuals at the top of the Sherco section.

There are piccies in the Garage section of this site!

High points of Sherco maintenance:

I would say keep the rear shock linkage clean, inspected and overpacked with waterproof grease and replace worn components comes first.

Ck and re grease the steering stem bearings for the same reasons. Stay off these items with the powerwasher as not to blow water in.

Pull your wheel axle shafts ang grease them lightly to insure they do not corrode into place due to water entry! Same for the swingarm shaft! Folk that let these things go for years have problems!

Go over rest of bike ckecking bolts, many such as engine bolts you may want to remove ant treat with anti-siexe compound so they do not ever get stuck due to corrosion over time.

Things like this are simply an ounce of prevention! :thumbup:

thats excellent just the info i require.. regarding the 80:1 is it a low mix to stop reduce the oil because the engines are at low revs most of the time.. unlike my enduro bike where 50% is wide open throttle?

after a quick blast round the garden im finding the clutch a little different to my enduro bike (probably because its newer) is there a way to adjust the biting point? it feels like i would like the bitting point to be spread over more travel on the lever.. it seems more condensed into a smaller amount of clutch movememnt... this is probably me just getting used to it!..

that garage section is not working for me... strange edit: yes it is just found the mainbn link at the top

thanks

Andy

Edited by andyj007

I think Ham is pulling your middle finger a bit! :rolleyes:

Clutches can be a bit snatchy, specially for new rider. Bite point should be well off the knuckles, slide your index finger toward the end of lever more to give broader range of motion.

Using the thicker 40wt oil in the box slows things a bit as well.

Intentionally riding up a gear forces you to develop slippage and feel for traction, ride a section in 1-3 and see. 1st is always more jerkey!

BTW, yes you are correct on the oil quantity assumption in the ratios!

Oh, I forgot to tell you the most important thing about a Sherco of your year.

NEVER RIDE THE BIKE AFTER WASHING IT, NEVER! :thumbup: You got that!

Washing the bike reguardless of how, you will wash water and dirt through the air filter and into the bottom of the airbox.

At best this will wash down and chew up your motor eventually, at worst, the throttle will stick open from the dirt and you are fecked!

I find it simpler to just pull the mudguard and air filter prior to washing, block the air hole or cover it(i have a special non porus foam plug cut to size) prior to washing. Otherwise you gotta do it anyway, then you got a wet filter and the box to clean out! Simplelz! You can pull the tank at the same time and get the rest without issue!

Duct tape! we shall discuss this later! :popcorn:

Great stuff thanks..

even if Mr ham is pulling my leg regarding your post or just trying to be funny i do have issues with my clutch. i would like way more travel for the over the biting patch. for instance.. i can turn my enduro 250xc ktm round a tight cone and slip the clutch levely and smooth. the sherco is done in small snaps which leave little wheel spin marks in my gravel.. i dont belive its my riding skills. cant beleve you guys ride like this for me with a more progressive clutch it would be awesome. i have moved the leaver further down the bars and will change out the oil for some of the recomended type.. i have the parts manual is there a service manual available..

do you guys ever use first or is it 2nd with clutch feather?

many thanks

Andy

I think Ham is pulling your middle finger a bit! :rolleyes:

Clutches can be a bit snatchy, specially for new rider. Bite point should be well off the knuckles, slide your index finger toward the end of lever more to give broader range of motion.

Using the thicker 40wt oil in the box slows things a bit as well.

Intentionally riding up a gear forces you to develop slippage and feel for traction, ride a section in 1-3 and see. 1st is always more jerkey!

BTW, yes you are correct on the oil quantity assumption in the ratios!

Oh, I forgot to tell you the most important thing about a Sherco of your year.

NEVER RIDE THE BIKE AFTER WASHING IT, NEVER! :thumbup: You got that!

Washing the bike reguardless of how, you will wash water and dirt through the air filter and into the bottom of the airbox.

At best this will wash down and chew up your motor eventually, at worst, the throttle will stick open from the dirt and you are fecked!

I find it simpler to just pull the mudguard and air filter prior to washing, block the air hole or cover it(i have a special non porus foam plug cut to size) prior to washing. Otherwise you gotta do it anyway, then you got a wet filter and the box to clean out! Simplelz! You can pull the tank at the same time and get the rest without issue!

Duct tape! we shall discuss this later! :popcorn:

Edited by andyj007

Great stuff thanks..

even if Mr ham is pulling my leg regarding your post or just trying to be funny ..........

Ok, I admit, I sometimes get my Americans mixed up :wacko: I remember Copey (who drinks and types :beer: ) wrote a piece on Sherco clutch set-up many moons ago...or was it George Washington? ( it could have been Ryan Young not Copey??).I'll have a quick scan of tinternet to see if I can find the relevant out-takes from his DVD

.....do you guys ever use first or is it 2nd with clutch feather?

All the time, I can't ride a lumpy slope without doing it.

The feathering and popping is where it's at man. :stoned:

Try this first.....Beta and Sherco clutches

Edited by HAM2

This is the guy I'm referring to, his dvd's are very good, he has a gift for communicating the basics and finer points of trials riding..He covers clutch set up and use (popping)...only not in this extract :dunce: Edited by HAM2