Snatcy Throttle on 36v

petrg

So far the only problem I've had with my 36v was the 'ignition' switch failing due to corrosion. It's a 2012 bike bought in November 2011 and has been used for both compettions and fun riding virtually every weekend, so that's pretty good in my books.

My daughter started on a 12.5 when she was three, briefly had a 2nd hand 24v before getting a new 36v for her 6th birthday.

I have upgraded the brakes to give more feel and a shorter movement for her small hands but she managed the throttle even on full power straight away.

598.jpg

588.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still feel that the initial take up, from a standstill is too severe. It compares to riding a conventional clutch bike and letting the clutch out by just letting go.

I cannot see how Ian/Oset can say it helps teach the kids how to lift the front wheel. Yes, put your child on the 36v and the front does lift, but surely you teach your child how to properly lift the front, ie: body position/ fork compression etc.

The throttle is not perfect from closed to start off... It should be smooth, like it would be if your child was on a clutch operated bike... Do we teach are kids to operate the clutch, by just letting go. No......

Surely a bike setup like this makes riding at a crawl very difficult.

Regards

Sparka

Throttle is fine once you are on the move... It's applying throttle from nothing that is an issue!!!!

Great little bike besides.

Regards

P.s

Frogger, can you let me know what Lipos, you have ordered, and in what configuration they will be connected. Cheers

Seems to work well...

i would agree that it teaches good throttle control. These are 1/4 turn throttles so there isn't a lot of room to play with... if they wick it 1/16th of a turn they are already at 25%.

I agree it takes more finesse than say a sherco 5o but the advantage is it has a lot more pick up than a sherco 50 when they need it.

At the end of the day my boy and i think it is good to go.

*edit - he has been riding the other bike for 2.5 years now and has MANY hours of learning how to control these throttles... i agree they are touchy, but they can be mastered to take off VERY slowly with some practice...

Edited by Sparkalounger

Frogger, can you let me know what Lipos, you have ordered, and in what configuration they will be connected. Cheers

I'll post up the details/pics when I have the lipo conversion done but I have ordered 6 x 8000mAh 3S1P packs. I will connect 3 packs in series twice (which gives me 2 x 9S1P packs of 8000mAh at 37.8v) and then parallel the 2 packs together which gives me 1 x 9S2P pack of 16000mAh at 37.8v charged.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F16225%5F%5FZIPPY%5FFlightmax%5F8000mAh%5F3S1P%5F30C%5F.html

There will still be 6 x balance leads but I have a great little charging station that has 3 x 4cell chargers connected together so I can charge 3 packs a time.

Not cheap though, $340 shipped with additional connectors and I am sure the UK tax man will want his cut too.

Seems to work well...

i would agree that it teaches good throttle control. These are 1/4 turn throttles so there isn't a lot of room to play with... if they wick it 1/16th of a turn they are already at 25%.

This is exactly the problem ( their isn't enough throttle resolution ). It can be got used to but when the throttle starts to get old or its not as free moving as it should be that first 1/16th or so of a twist becomes physically jerky and much harder to roll on smoothly. Its that maximum torque from 0 rpm of electric power, unlike a gas bike.

Guys you need to stop and think your missing the point of the Oset yes they have a snatcy throttle big deal...Just look at what the kids are able to do on them ...your getting a little bit anal :D

Have a look at the skills these youngsters have they seem to be doing just fine :thumbup:

Edited by pipster

Guys you need to stop and think your missing the point of the Oset yes they have a snatcy throttle big deal...Just look at what the kids are able to do on them ...your getting a little bit anal :D

Have a look at the skills these youngsters have they seem to be doing just fine :thumbup:

It really do become a problem when you have a bike with even more power and top speed, yes kids adapt, but the more tricky the sections become that lack of really fine slow control become a issue.

The throttle is not perfect from closed to start off... It should be smooth, like it would be if your child was on a clutch operated bike... Do we teach are kids to operate the clutch, by just letting go. No......

No clutch on the Oset and that's what smooths the power delivery on a 2/4 stroke bike ...Try riding a section without using your clutch :D

Absolutely nothing wrong with tinkering and improving! :)

Hopefully Oset takes these comments on board as positive feedback and make a good product even better.

Frogger you spot on any feedback is good to help Oset improve the bikes ...But for me they have got it just about perfect ... Even if Oset offered the bikes with Lipo power I'm sure that would make them a lot more expensive and the throttle issue maybe at this moment in time its not possible to buy a throttle that will give us the silky smooth power delivery we crave ...

Gas Gas and KTM and I'm sure Oset as well are investing a fortune on development of the perfect E dirtbike give it time they will nail it as its the future of our sport especially in the UK we have lost no end of land access relating to Trials and Enduro because of the noise, Silent Dirtbikes will transform the sport ...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to this forum but I found this thread while looking for a solution to the throttle response on my sons 36V Oset. So I registered because I wondered if anyone has had any experience with this torque control module.

My link

Instructions

My link

It looks like an easy plug in and go solution that will mimic the throttle respone of a petrol engine bike.

Even I find the bike very difficult to control at low speed even with my extra 60kg and using the rear brake to try and smooth things out. I'd love to here if anyone has used this torque controller.

Hi, I am new to this forum but I found this thread while looking for a solution to the throttle response on my sons 36V Oset. So I registered because I wondered if anyone has had any experience with this torque control module.

My link

Instructions

My link

It looks like an easy plug in and go solution that will mimic the throttle respone of a petrol engine bike.

Even I find the bike very difficult to control at low speed even with my extra 60kg and using the rear brake to try and smooth things out. I'd love to here if anyone has used this torque controller.

I have tried something Similar ( a Simple RC filter as I posted on the previous page ) and found the shut off delay to be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding my 2c, unless there is some variance in the performance of individual OSET throttles they just take getting used to. The instant torque makes initial throttle control a challenge to new users. If new kids want to try the bike I put it on a stand and get them to practice getting the back wheel to start slowly, it can be made to move very slowly. Then put them on mud/slippy grass, that stops it standing on the rear tire. My kids (at the time 4 and 6) mastered the throttle in about an hour, I just kept giving praise for gentle starts. I have no concerns with my 5 year old starting and weaving around parked cars (even nice ones!). An upside of this need for control is that both of them can now ride bikes very well in slippery conditions.

The absence of a clutch I see as a benefit - less controls to have to think about as they get started.

There is also a arguement that riding Junior/Novice sections without using the clutch teaches smoothness, planning, anticipation.

Edited by NineFives