Bultaco Sherpa T 350 Kick Start

fatdaddy

Hello; I have a 1978 Bultaco Sherpa T 350 model 191. I rescued this bike from a friend and I'm hoping to restore it to mint condition as it only has 421 original miles on it. When I got the bike it was siezed up or locked up. I removed the head and cylinder and everything looks brand new!! I then split the cases and inspected everything and it all looks BRAND NEW!! I'm starting to think the kick starter mechanism is the culprit. Does anyone have a diagram of the kick start mechanism set up properly? I saw an old post on this forum a while back that a fellow was rebuilding and he posted pics of the kick start that he had set up and put together. The picture I saw had no spring under the ratchet gear and someone said it was correct!! Does anyone have a correct diagram or useable instructions? Thanks; Chuck

The kick start return spring is fitted out side on the kick start shaft just above the gear box out put sprocket I think there is a coil spring that pushes the ratchet gear out in to mesh but I only have a poor copy and it is not that clear to see On return it hits a stop that pulls it out of mesh It is a long time since I had to pull one apart

Thanks a lot guys, this is very helpfull and usefull information. If anyone has an idea on how to set the preload on the kick start spring properly and any adjustments, could you please post? Thanks again guys...Chuck

Put your outside spring on then turn the shaft about half a turn then fit the ratchet on the spline so it just slides on past the keeper then release the shaft

Make sure you put the shim on after the kickstart gear if its not there or is worn the kickstart gear will rub or jam against 4th gear

Here is a link to a picture that was posted a while back. Does this look correct? I don.t see the spring under the ratchet gear!!

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy103/stratmandude/KickStartAssy.jpg

Yes I'd say the spring is fitted it would be hard to see the spring as it is recessed into the ratchet and fully compressed at that stage.

If the spring wasn't there the ratchet cam wouldn't be pushed up against the keeper guide

I don't understand what you're asking now ?

The parts diagram is correct, why would you think it isn't? The spring fits behind the drive ratchet gear (2) and sits in a recess. The spring pushes the gear outwards and engages it with the kickstart idler gear (10) The spring cannot be seen in the photograph, as mentioned in a previous reply. If the spring sat between the two gears it would keep them apart, not push one onto the other.

The kickstart return spring returns the shaft and as it rotates, the cam on the ratchet gear engages with the guide (4) and slides the ratchet gear back along the shaft disengaging it from the idler gear.

Unless the shaft has been assembled incorrectly it's hard to imagine how it could be causing the engine to lock up. There's not much to go wrong with them.

Thanks Guys!!! I am now confident that everything is assembled correctly and working properly on the kick start assy. including the thrust washer. I still don't know why this motor locked up on me then freed itself up when I pulled it out of the frame. Possibly from sitting out in the weather for 20 years, maybe something got gummed up on the lay shaft or the mainshaft and possibly got hung up between gears or something. Nevertheless. I'm gonna replace the crank bearings for the hell of it and pre lube everything on all the shafts before I reassemble it. I can't believe I can't see the problem!!! Thanks to all of you guys for contributing to this post and offering all of your expertise!!! I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Thanks again; Chuck