Northern Classic Trial

lakelandramblers

Yes.. What would you like to know?

I have submitted an entry to the Northern Trial on an old Suzuki SP400 with trials sidecar. If I was just on the bike I would be reasonably confident, but I am very much a novice with the sidecar, as is my passenger, having never ridden/driven one up to a few months ago. We have had a few outings on predominantly rocky green lanes in the south lakes with mixed results, side slopes in particular having some spectacular results.

I did last years Ilkley Classic Trial on a solo 350 Bullet, so have an idea of the general format of these events, but.....

I am interested to know;

If on the Northern Trial bikes use the same route as the cars, and if the sidecars use the same route as the bikes?

How does the event compare with the Ilkley Trial in difficulty?

I have seen that most of the photos of the Northern Trial on the web show very muddy and rutted sections, are these representative of most sections?

Are there loads of re-starts?

Finally is it as cold as it looks!

Any information you have on your experience of the event would be gratefully received.

I have submitted an entry to the Northern Trial on an old Suzuki SP400 with trials sidecar. If I was just on the bike I would be reasonably confident, but I am very much a novice with the sidecar, as is my passenger, having never ridden/driven one up to a few months ago. We have had a few outings on predominantly rocky green lanes in the south lakes with mixed results, side slopes in particular having some spectacular results.

I did last years Ilkley Classic Trial on a solo 350 Bullet, so have an idea of the general format of these events, but.....

I am interested to know;

If on the Northern Trial bikes use the same route as the cars, and if the sidecars use the same route as the bikes?

all Same, there "might" be an odd exception, but unlikely

How does the event compare with the Ilkley Trial in difficulty?

I would expect similar

I have seen that most of the photos of the Northern Trial on the web show very muddy and rutted sections, are these representative of most sections?

No, just some and one in particular, at Sandale(which is always in and lots of fun).

Are there loads of re-starts?

possibly 1 and a special test or two

Finally is it as cold as it looks!

Nah! Bacon butty and coffee before you start, stop for a beer/shandy at lunch remember to book your food for when you get back to the Stocksman

Any information you have on your experience of the event would be gratefully received.

There have been several sidecars entered in previous years, from BMW`s to Russian sidecar wheel drive jobs and it always looks like fun to me

most of the bikes go round together in a loose sort of way, and as you will have a passenger who can read the route book they will be following you i expect!

there will be the odd one that is quite competitive but everyone is quite relaxed and friendly

I will look out for you at the start

get on youtube.. one of the car drivers posts in car stuff of every trial .. that way you even get to ride the sections the week before.. usually sidecars ride the same sections as cars as do bikes the only deviations being stop and go's etc check out youtube northern trail and you ll see most are in the woods .. its wet up thier so wrap up warm .. take spare gloves etc in the sidecar.. abrolly might sound daft but waiting at sections to start it can be a real bonus if its pouring down..