Honda Seeley

woody

Anyone know whether it is possible to buy a new camshaft for the Seeley Honda? Mine has 'flats' on the tips of the lobes so is no good.

I know it is possible to get it reprofiled but I'd rather get a new one if possible. As I understand it the profile is different on the Seeley from XLI85 and other engines so although it is possible to fit another cam, it may mess up the slow running of the engine.

I will try the usual sources such as Gordon Farley, David Silver etc. next week, but just wondered if anyone may know of a specific source, or even whether they are, or were ever available. If not I'll have to get it reprofiled. In which case does anyone know the number of Joy Cams - can't find it anywhere myself.

Also, does anyone know of a piston that will fit and where to get it from. I've looked on the Wiseco site and can see that there are pistons available for bikes with the same bore/stroke such as oversize pistons for ATC200, XL200, XR200 etc. but not sure about the compression ration of any of these. I have heard of a TLR200 piston being used so that is an option.

Any help will be appreciated.

Woody,

Does your camshaft have a bearing/bush fitted to the side opposite the cam chain sprocket?

Mine has a solid bush fitted and I reckon there is about 0.005" clearance between the I/D of the bush and the O/D of the camshaft.

Oh..by the way, are you Stephen Hole of 'Hope' fame?...if you are watched you many times riding down here in the St Davids.

Best regards, Mark.

Mark, it does have a bush fitted but it is ok, it is the lobes which are worn on mine. No I'm not Woody Hole, I'm Dave Wood from Brum and unfortunately don't possess half of his trials riding ability either....

Regards 200 cams, a friend has a 200 engine out of a Paris-Dakar style Honda 200 with electric start. The cam on this has a proper bearing on it, not a bush and the electrics are on the crank not the cam so there are some differences on the 200 engines to watch out for.

Thanks Martin, that's the name I was trying to remember. Not sure how much stuff he has but I've heard he isn't prone to letting any of it go. I've managed to find someone else on the IOM who also has a Seeley and who knows John, so he is going to ask a few questions for me. From what I've been told though, there was very little in the way of mechanical components in what he bought so not too hopeful but you never know.

I've heard there are about 10 Seeleys on the IOM and John Quaye has 6 of them.