Evo Rear Sprocket Play

davelewis

Hi all, rear sprocket is loose, causing play on 2011 Evo. Bolts are as tight as they will go however.

Anyone come across this?

looks like it needs a new wheel hub to me as the bolt-holes must be out of true. Bike is 9 moths old - is it worth trying for a free replacement?

Cheers for any advice/help

Dave

if its the standard sprocket (supersprox?) check for fractures around the bolt holes on the sprocket. they are a poor design - each bolt hole is at 'point' in the sproket, mine fractured in 3 places. my advice would be swap it for a talon radialite, they are a different design, traditional, ie just a circle of metal is removed from the centre to allow it to sit onto the hub, much stronger.

25.00 quid for a new sprocket. Change it and the bolts before you knacker the hub holes! If the hub holes get ovaled out or worn then you are looking at a new hub and wheel building costs. Ouch!

When fitting the new sprocket make sure everything is super clean. Use contact cleaner. Use thread lock on the new sprocket bolts. Make sure there tight. Use the spanner to apply the torque not the allen key or you will round out the holes and not get them tight enough.

25.00 quid for a new sprocket. Change it and the bolts before you knacker the hub holes! If the hub holes get ovaled out or worn then you are looking at a new hub and wheel building costs. Ouch!

When fitting the new sprocket make sure everything is super clean. Use contact cleaner. Use thread lock on the new sprocket bolts. Make sure there tight. Use the spanner to apply the torque not the allen key or you will round out the holes and not get them tight enough.

Thanks for your advice chaps. New Talon sprocket on its way from BVM. Original sprocket holes were oval in shape.

Whats the hub like? Usually they wear the same as the sprocket.

It's a nasty fix but I have seen a mate with an early 2000 KTM do this to get around it -

1. Fill all bolt holes liquid metal.

2. Before it "goes off" line up sprocket and use a braddle to mark pilot holes.

3. Drill and tap the holes once it has totally set.

4. Fit sprocket etc as normal.

The bike is still being used today with this bodge still in place.

Not my bag but if you're desperate you could try it first?