Amal Slow Action Throttle For Cota247

keychange

I have just replaced all the wiring (not the coils) on my Cota and it is running nicely again. However I have always felt that the throttle response is just too sharp off the bottom - just the slightest incorrect movement on the right hand brake can induce a dangerous spurt ( I notice some gloves are more prone to causing this). I have read elsewhere of people fitting a slow response throttle on their TLRs - I can state categorically that the response on my Cota is way - way more than on my TLR with a standard throttle.

I have ridden to a couple of MrB's Bultaco's and the smoothness of the power delivery is very noticeable. Does anyone have experience with fitting a slow action throttle on a Cota and if so are there any traps with cables etc and will it improve things for me.

I have found this unit for around 14 quids in UK and welcome feedback or suggestions

Hello Andrew, The Amal side pull throttles are very good but I think they only come in one speed. But you can get Venhil cables for a Montesa with Amal so you will have the best of both worlds. I have a Domino on my Sherpa at the moment only because I broke the Amal at the Aussie titles in 2010 and all I could buy on site was a Domino. They have two throttle tubes that you can buy. A slow and a faster one. They are also cheaper but require more fiddling to get the throttle cable to work. Standard Venhil anyway. The Tommaselli`s are also very good. They came standard on most Italian bikes in the eighties. You really have to buy Chinese to get an iffy one. Good luck and I hope we get to see you up in Queensland soon. Bultaco`s are always smooth, just ask Ross. Bully Lover.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in answer to my own question - NO - the existing cable doesn't fit - however pure dumb luck I bought a T80/200 cable for my TLR last month in error and sure enough it fits.

However on a very quick wet ride - I can't really notice any change to the bike's pickup - yes the throttle is smoother and lighter but not sure the response is significantly different.

Hello Andrew. Have you thought of retarding the timing a bit to smooth it out. To do that you would make it spark a little bit closer to TDC. If the standard timing is 2.6 mm BTDC try it at 2.4 or 2.2 mm BTDC. This will smooth it out. Bully Lover.