Identifying Mikuni Carb On Techno 250

bevel

I've just got myself a Beta Techno 250, my first trials bike, however it seems asif it's got a bodge as the carb top rather than a proper part. I've looked to try to ID the carb and I see no writing on it. I measured the internal diameter on the engine side and made that 28mm. I've searched and searched and can find people saying that the Techno 250 was fitted with a VM26 and others (although much less) say VM28. I cannot find parts for a VM28, but I can find parts for a VM26.

So I ask:

1) Would the top be interchangeable between both regardless of what model it actually is? Could somone supply me with the thread size on a VM26?

2) How can I get a definable ID on the model? Is it just the ID on the engine side or is there somthing more to it?

Thanks very much

Gday, Have a search through the garage here, you will most likely find pictures of all the Techno's to use to identify yours. They are pretty straight forward. It is possible that the top is interchangeable, but ID the bike first, then you can get parts lists to know for sure. Or contact one of the helpful Beta dealers in your area and they should be able to guide you.

Cheers,

Stork

The bike is a Beta Techno 250, I've been told it's got 1997 plastics but was told when I bought it that it was a '96. It was road registered in the UK on a P reg so that ties up with 96/97

The Beta Mikuni is a VM26-208. It's sort of a special setup so you won't find any parts places stocking parts for that particular model outside of a Beta dealer. I don't remember if that particular year had the "noodle" on top. Basically a right angle tube held into the top of the carb with a snap ring sort of deal so the cable doesn't foul coming out the top of the carb.

This is a good place to start. Remember some parts are not specific to a certain carb so they may have very generic part numbers.

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/VM26-VM44_Spigot_Mount_Parts_W192C1420.cfm

Edited by Dan Williams

I don't know about Mikuni but old Keihins use the same casting for different size carbs. The TLR200/ TL125 type carbs were made in 22 mm and 24 mm versions. The bores were machined differently and the only size marking is on the slide cap.

Okay thanks guys, I've ordered one from Trials and Tribulations after a chat with the guy on the phone he seems confident that the VM26 part fits whichever it may be. While having a clean up of the bike earlier around the carb I found that the rear brake resivoir was cable tied in place! It's got the braked attached to it and I can see a hole in a frame cross member which looks like it should be for it, does anyone know if the resivoir sits above or below the frame? Above looks like it would obstruct the plastics, but below it seems to obstruct the throttle cable and/or whatever the electrical box there is.

Anyone with any idea or even better photos of their bike would be much apreciated

Gday, Im not that sure now but I think the bracket on my old Techno was bolted "high" under the cover. It was a mess under the cover, but make sure the cables run free. After that, jam electrics etc wherever they fit best! My old girl was a good bike, you will enjoy yours as many others still do.

Cheers,

Stork

Thanks for the help, I had the carb top and it fitted fine so that's all good. Someone I know also owns a techno and he's sent photos of where his brake reservoir is, no where near where mine was! The pipe isn't long enough so I'll be putting a new one on.