Acu Trail Bike Championship. Ineligible Machines.

pete_scorpa3

This release has been circulated by the ACU.

Re: ACU Trail Bike Championship

We would wish to draw you attention to the Regulations for this Championship and in particular the following:-

No 4. Course. Please take note of the recommendations and requirements detailed in this section.

No 3. Eligibility: We have received several queries with regard to eligible bikes and would reiterate that this is a Trail Bike Championship and is aimed at these machines. At present, eligibility states that the Championship class is open to Trail machines with working lights, pillion seats and trials spec tyres as per TSR8.

Trials bikes or converted Trials bikes should not be allowed in this class.

Additionally, it states that a list of ineligible machines will be held at the ACU. We in turn send this out to the organisers.

Of late, manufactures are starting to produce some dual purpose type machines with an emphasis on road legality etc and this is to be applauded.

However, in many cases the frame geometry etc is still very much “ trials” oriented and as such we have some concern that these machines, especially if further modified, will move far closer to normal trials machines than Trail machines.

The concern is that there may be a tendency for such machines to over influence the design of sections, particularly if the more able riders choose this type of machine.

Consequently the T & E Committee have tried to formulate a list of ineligible machines, based on the desire to maintain the Trail bike concept.

The specified wheelbase we feel is an indicator of the division between Trail and Trial and as a norm, machines with a specified wheelbase of less than 1350mm would fall into the Trial bike category and not be eligible for Championship points.

As you are aware, organisers often include a Non Championship class, and these machines could of course compete in this class, and it may be that the Organiser would wish to provide a separate award for such machines etc.

The T & E Committee will look more closely at the eligibility regulations for 2013, but for 2012 would ask for your assistance in maintaining this Championship in its present format.

The machines below are classed as ineligible for the Championship class in 2012.

Any machine that in the view of the organiser is a converted Trials machine or does not meet the eligibility requirements listed in Point 2.

The following models are also ineligible for Championship class:-

Honda TLR 250

Honda TLR 200 ( including the imported Reflex type machines)

Scorpa Longride

Gas Gas Radonne

T & E Committee

Hi, Agree with this and a good decision, however is this list exaustive because there are other bikes that also fall into this catagory and you know what it is like ,there will always be some one to spot a loophole in order to get that pot !!!!!!.

mistake in my humble opinion.. once you start introducing rules bikes will be built to them.. so with the new rules i can transplant a pro engine into my pampera fiddle with geometry and ride height pedal position and that would be okay?

the sport develops.. no one mentioned outlawing bultacos in 1965 did they no one thought to outlaw soft tyres no one thought to outlaw bikes minus seats..

all the long ride and radonne are is the devlopment of dual sport bikes and thier banning as they are too good is a sad day..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guy's .

The biggest mistake to my mind is ,that the class is very often very poorly atended. And any new rules will also add to many organizers pulling the plug on the series. So it would be a lot more sence, to also include a class for any other machine? just to make the numbers up and make the event viable.

Regards Charlie.

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

Guys

As I think the original release stated that the wheelbases would be used as an "! indicator" and as a norm

No way should a genuine trial bike like a DT shown above be excluded, in fact the exact opposite is the desire, it is to protesct and maintain the concept of true trail bikes that we are trying to do this. The only concern is that if it goes too far in the direction of the modern trail/ trial bikes. Once a few very good riders start using the trial type bikes, the sections inevitably become harder, and certainly tighter. For lesser riders there is not always a problem BUT once the top boys start to use them the tendancy is foir C/Course to make sections to get a result, and we are back down same old road.

So XT's, DR's, XL,s DT;s no problems

• 7 months later...

Just found this.

One reason why the Wyegate isn't a championship round. And other things. It was much the same in the 80's when Dereck Wylde wanted us to be part of his championship. The event had to change to suit rather than the rules change to suit the event.

I assume that cutting a DT or XL to handle like a TLR is ok going by the bikes I see. Actually one thing that does confuse e is the Pillion seat rule. I have to assume that this also bans enduro bikes as they don't have pillion seats After all they have no rear foot pegs. Tidy up the wording someone.

I reckon the rule thing is just taking things too far. Sorry.