Skipping Gears

sidewaysinto3rd

Hello

I've been having some problems with my gas gas skipping gears. New to the sport and to trials bikes.

I got my used bike, changed the transmission fluid (had mineral oil, put ATF DexronIII in). the oil change made the shifting smoother, but it still skips gears when i'm riding.

i.e. I start in 3rd gear and sometimes i find myself in 4th or 2nd. I believe one time it even found neutral. I think when I hit bumps it skips a gear up or down.

I'm fairly certain I'm not hitting it with my foot by accident.

Is this sign of a worn clutch ?

Any recommendations ?

Thanks

My bike is an older ('94) TXT so not a Pro but there may be enough similarity that this may help. Under the clutch is the shifting mechanism. There is the shifting pawl with a spring and there are 2 more springs that push some rollers onto the shifting drum. If theyt get weak, it can cause the bike to not shift completely and then it can jump out of gear or into a different gear. I replaced all 3 springs (I think that were aout US$20 total) and now the shifting is much more positive. The new springs have thicker material and definelty apply a lot more force to the rollers. This is a good thing.

You also might want to find the you tube video by Jim Snell that shows how to adjust the shifting pawl. It can cause a similar issue with gears not being fully engaged and then shifting by themselves sometimes.

Other recommendations: Keep the rubber side down and the feet up!