Master Cylinder Kit

tony27

I lost the rear brake today, I was showing the Ossa importer what was going on & he said it was time for a seal kit

When I got home I looked on splatshop & they're out of stock, with AJP being out of business do we think they will be getting any more in?

I talked to the Beta importer later on & he's sending me a 9.5mm kit for the front to see if it's possible to change over the seals off it. Is this going to be a good idea?

He had heard the rumour of AJP's demise & has decided to see what he can get off Beta for the future

The Ossa importer also brings in S3 to NZ & said that S3 may be looking at making kits to keep all the bikes running AJP gear going. Hope this comes to fruition

If the seal fits, it fits. Problem may be getting the boot, as they get torn and let crap in .

First I heard the parts off the new ones would interchange, then I heard they were going to produce AJP replacment parts, who knows.

Thanks for the offer Cope, had hoped it the front kit to strip would have arrived at work yesterday but it didn't & today is our version of veterans/rememberance day so hopefully I'll get it tomorrow

Will try stripping the seals off it when it arrives to see if it's possible, can't see me sorting it saturday before I leave for 2 days of rider coaching with my VMX bikes

Once I know whether changing seals works I'll get back to you about your kit

Thanks again for the offer

Kit turned up today, quite surprised that beta supply the rubber parts without the piston etc. Quite happy about that though.

Quick measure at work has me concerned that may be the wrong size as the seal etc are closer to 11 than 9.5mm but until I've stripped the cylinder I won't know for certain

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that is trying to find these AJP/150.00.396C seal kits, we have just had a delivery today from Sherco. They are branded up with J.Juan and AJP, so it looks like stuff is finally arriving.

As expected they have gone up in price, you can find them here though:

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/sherco-rear-brake-master-cylinder-seal-kit.html

Tony, we also found that the Beta ones fit, but then the UK importer soon ran out of stock, I assume they are out of stock at the factory as we had them on backorder for a few weeks now.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up ordering the kit & getting it sent international signed for, normally takes 3 days to arrive which is quicker than I'd get it from here in NZ but even though it's been in the country since at least yesterday it wasn't delivered today

Looks like I'm going VMXing tomorrow instead of riding the trial I set today

Pity, well if I understand all this, the problem with tony27's thing may be trying to use the front kit on the rear? I have heard the Beta rear kit doo indeed work, yet I have not tried it(add expensive).

Hopefully they will get this sorted with the parts, soon!

Should emergency arrize, PM me, as I still have one for emergency dispatch only.

The beta kit I was sent was for the rear, seems 11mm may be more common for betas

The kit I ordered off splatshop is the correct 9.5mm type, has been in the country 4 days now & still not delivered to me, normally things take 3 days in total to arrive. Always tomorrow I guess :rolleyes:

No more local trials for another 4 weeks so I now have lots of time to sort it. At least I managed to get some riding in on the CZ & YZ465 at Levi Sherwood's place yesterday :)

Finally came home to a card saying my mail was at the mail centre needing a signature, picked it up on the way to work. Woman there was really surprised it hadn't been delivered Saturday as it arrived in the country Friday

Fitted it after work, ended up having to disconnect the rear brakeline so I could dig out the remains of the circlip which had rusted away to the point of not stopping the piston from coming out.

Had a quick try at bleeding the brake but haven't gotten it working yet, will have a better go either in the weekend or next week

Finally came home to a card saying my mail was at the mail centre needing a signature, picked it up on the way to work. Woman there was really surprised it hadn't been delivered Saturday as it arrived in the country Friday

Fitted it after work, ended up having to disconnect the rear brakeline so I could dig out the remains of the circlip which had rusted away to the point of not stopping the piston from coming out.

Had a quick try at bleeding the brake but haven't gotten it working yet, will have a better go either in the weekend or next week

Hopefully you have not induced a lot of air into the rear line going to the caliper. I would crack the fitting there again to let air out of the piston and get things flowing(pumping). Then close it off and see whot you got. Hopefully you will not need to back bleed it to get air out the rear line.

Note again that corrosion in there is usually due to a torn boot. If you pack the inside of the boot with silecone grease it offers much higher resistance to water and crud entry in the case of a tear. :)

Edited by copemech

• 3 weeks later...

Having no luck bleeding the brake, there doesn't seem to be any air in the system. If I put a clear line over the nipple & open it up no fluid flows out unless I push down on the lever, there is no air in the fluid when I do this

I pushed the pistons back in the caliper at the start to push any air in line line back up to the reservoir but now they don't move at all when pushing down on the cylinder.

I'm pretty sure the pistons aren't tipped over in the bores as they seem to be level with the seals. Could the pistons be sitting too far back not allowing the fluid to get behind them & if so what is the best way to get them moving outwards again?

Any other suggestions as to what to try

Having no luck bleeding the brake, there doesn't seem to be any air in the system. If I put a clear line over the nipple & open it up no fluid flows out unless I push down on the lever, there is no air in the fluid when I do this

I pushed the pistons back in the caliper at the start to push any air in line line back up to the reservoir but now they don't move at all when pushing down on the cylinder.

I'm pretty sure the pistons aren't tipped over in the bores as they seem to be level with the seals. Could the pistons be sitting too far back not allowing the fluid to get behind them & if so what is the best way to get them moving outwards again?

Any other suggestions as to what to try

So you did try cracking the line on top of the MC? to get some fluid flowing? Likely air cought in the top of the pump.

Have tried opening the the line on top of the master cylinder, major pain to do as it involves removing the top mounting screw to get enough clearance to fit a 14mm spanner.

Had fluid come out when I pushed down on the lever but none otherwise, may have been a little bit of air in it but not much if there was. Closed the line back up while slowly pushing down on the lever same as if I would if it was a bleed nipple that was open

Still no movement from the pistons afterwards :(