Cota 123...the Search Begins

painter

I was just given a 1972 Cota 123. A friend bought it years ago with the idea of restoring it and has lost his ambition.

I'm looking to make it a decent rider and not much more. I've never ridden trials and I'm not intending on competing and don't want to put the cost of a modern bike into this project. It will make a decent put around bike for my 6 year old if he gets interested and I lose interest.

I know that parts are scarce, but this one is pretty complete, and I'm confident I can make it run.

I have learned in my research that tires are impossible to find. I've also learned that other model wheels can be used with some swingarm modifications.

Can anyone tell me what models used the same hubs, but with 21 and 18 inch hoops, or alternatively a source for correctly drilled rims cheaper than at Buchanan's in Cali? I've heard that Cota 247 wheels of similar vintage are one candidate.

Thanks in advance.

Nate

edit...almost forgot...everyone like pictures.

6928601026_868c157d48_b.jpg

Edited by painter

What is that, a '73 / '74 ?

Love the seat, how original do you want to restore to ?

You have some great real estate to ride in NH, I used to live in Effingham, near Ossippee.

Suspect Chris @ MotoVintage may be able to help you find what you need here in the US, also Southwest Montesa ... Just google 'em.

Good Luck

It's a '72.

The seat will go bye bye along with the pillion pegs and the exhaust extension. LOL

The original seat pan is under all that mess, and I'll use it to fabricate some sort of seat. I've seen repro seats on line, but they're pricey, and I'd rather put the money into wheels.

The airbox would be nice, but not absolutely necessary for my initial purposes

I paint motorcycles for a living, so the beautification part of the job is no problem. I also worked in a shop for years in the 70's and was the OSSA trained tech. The Montesa appears to hold no real surprises.

As to progress, I've freed up the motor from it's fuel bath and subsequent varnish seizing. I'll probably replace the loose needles with a caged needle, put it back together, see if it will run, and go from there.

If I could only score some wheels. Again, if anyone has info as to what might fit it would be much appreciated.

Edited by painter