Suspension Setup

teeth

Now then

I've just bought a 60 plate evo, to start out trialling.

I've had a rev 3 before and gas gas, but not really trial-er just practised occasionally, now I've I'm going to do some events!

Anyway, got the bike out earlier but the suspension seems to be quite soft (from what I remember) is there somewhere I can find out the correct settings??

I'm 5'11 weighing 13.5st

Also what should the tyres pressures be?

Thanks for your help

All this can be found in the owners manual:

Go to the Beta website and you can download a PDF of the manual.

The suspension should be able to work with your weight fine but it will need to be set up. Plenty of preload front and rear.

The PDF will have simple advice like "four to five turns of preload" and show you what to twiddle. Once you have the basics set up you can fine tune later on.

Tires 6psi front and 4 psi in rear for good all round grip. Perhaps less in the mud.

Set the sag front and rear - with riding gear on measure how far the suspension sags down too when you are on the bike. Have a friend help and do the measurement a few times as there is friction to overcome. Adjust the spring pressure so the bike sags down 1/3 of its travel. Aways set to 1/3..... and recheck it every 6 months.

Damping - the forks and shock have rebound damping adjusters. These control how quickly the bike springs back from a bump or compression and have a HUGE effect on traction. Before you start measure where it is set (just in case you want to go back there) - turn in the adjusters counting how many turns until they JUST bottom out. Unscrew them all the way and it will get very bouncy fast suspension. Basically what you are looking for taking the return speed out of the spring. Try adjusting things. Some like it fast some slow. Generally a little slower gives a little more traction.

Ralphy

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Good man. One thing to try is to get used to your "new" set up and then tweak it firmer/softer etc and see if it improves further.

Always write down what you tweak and by how much. It can help a lot if it goes wrong.

Over time I have found that setting things harder than the books settings is better for me. I keep my tire presures around 4 psi and it seems to be ok at providing traction etc. Your tyre works as the very first bit of suspension travel so play with tyre pressure also for the given suspension setting.