It's Baaaack

trialsman

Just wanted to see if any other 4RT owners have noticed what I did after I changed the stock gearing. I have heard from several sources how Montesa radically decreased the old 4-stroke braking effect by giving the engine a shot of fuel when throttle is closed. When I first rode the bike with the stock gearing that braking effect was pretty much gone. Since I felt the 41 tooth was a little tall for my riding style, I changed to a 44 tooth, which I like a lot, however, guess what is back. The old 4-stroke braking effect, when I let off the throttle in first. It really doesn't bother me that much, but, I was wondering if anyone else had made note of it.

You would notice the same effect with a two stroke. Lower gearing will always create more of a braking effect. It would be much more pronounced on the 4RT if you lowered the idle speed which I tried along with the 44 tooth sprocket. I have since returned to factory settings for idle speed along with the 44 tooth sprocket and the result is very satisfactory. I have notice that Montesa has successfully reduced the braking effect more so than any other four stroke on the market that I have tried over the years. What is needed is for you to practice more and get used to what little braking effect is present. I am sure that in many situations you will find that this braking effect will prove to be beneficial to you. :unsure: