Cota 348 W/349 Engine

jsd

Greetings. My Son and I ride '76 348 Cotas and I'm building another. On the builder, the frame and suspension are done with the engine in need of a complete going though. Needs a new big end and rod as well as a piston and rings. I've 2 options. Use a good 349 engine I have or building the 348 with some of the 349 engine internals. Using the entire 349 engine looks to be a straight swap and would allow me to ride the 3rd Cota sooner (my Brother is bugging me to ride my running 348). Might be a bit of fun with more punch or a good way to crack my head!

A few questions as I do not have a 349 parts book:

1. Are the 348 and 349 crankshaft and rod the same?

2. Will a 349 piston/barrel fit a 348?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jeff in Northern California

Thanks Bigshineybike for the reponse and info. You are correct on the 348 having a round crank. Just finished cleaning it in preparation for pressing out the crank pin. From my 348 parts book the crank p/n is 5160.007. I located a 1980 349 Cota parts book on-line and it lists the crank p/n as 5160.00702. What gives with the extra "02"????. I'm going to pull the 349 head and barrel tomorrow night and see if the crank is round.

Thanks again.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

• 7 months later...