99' Techno Fork Seals

funnyman0815

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I too have a 99 Beta Techno with a leaking fork seal. I have not ordered parts or begun work yet, but was was wondering how you were getting along with the project. Thanks

Hi Both. Have you tried cleaning the seals out properly first?

Remove wipers and slide up the leg and clean with a feeler gauge or strip of thin and flexible plastic. Next you can slide a thin feeler gauge down the leg between the chrome and the seal. Once in run it right around the ge a few times and wipe away and dirt. I repeat again.

Pump forks up and down and wipe legs off (they usually leak like mad at first). Repeat, repeat & repeat. They should have settled by now. Slide down the wipers and your good to go.

You can see a visual here: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEYQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUSac5G4SI-U&ei=XZ_4T5TTEqqx0QWqgKmbBw&usg=AFQjCNHRveOhF9-phfDdnTfRqxcomr5Syw&sig2=lMmBNnQUKpeuuXoR_zto6g

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Pindie. You saved me time, money, and a headache! Your advice to simply clean the seals worked! I used a thin piece of plastic cut from a retail package blister pack. Slid the dust cover up the leg, used the plastic to wipe out the inside edge of the dust cover first... man was it dirty! Then, removed the metal clip, wiped inside edge of the seal, pumped the forks, and repeated this 5 times. The puddle of oil oozing past the seal slowly stopped.

Excellent work. I've kept seals going for years using this method. I'm glad it works for you.

You can still chnage the oil as well by removing the leg, tipping the oil oil out and re filling. Just be careful to measure the oil going back in.