Bloody Petrol Tanks.

gautrek

What a mare i am having with my tank off my Panther.I got a decent tank last year at the Stafford show(its one of those centre mounted trail bike type jobbies off a 250 bsa). So I had to manufacture some ali mounts to sit it on the bike,A bit of bashing of the lower surface allowed it to mount lower down.So I decided once I was happy to get it blasted and then paint it.So i dropped it off at the blasters and then my dad picked it up the following week.

When I saw it i was horrified.they had dented it 3 times on the top and RH side.So after much moaning they at least gave me my money back.So I decided to leave it for last season and then get the dents knocked out in the close season.

So after we had finished our last trial i dropped it round to my dad and he had a go at knocking them out.unfortunately he had to cut a hole in the base to get to one dent.So I dropped it down at the local bike welders and he fitted a plate and I picked it up on Monday.I am aiming to be at the Mallory do so am pushed for time with painting.

So I blew the last bit of primer I had over it on Monday night and then planned to pick up some more rattle cans to start the job tues. I just rubbed it down on Tues due to the rain.But picked some paint up today.So I then blew some primer filler over it tonight and the bloody paint has reacted with the original paint and its blistered and cracked.

arrgghhhh

BUGGER.....and it always turns to sh*t when your getting ready for a deadline. :( . take heart my friend, the worst that can happen is you ride the bike with a crazed paint job, something you can sort out after the trial. :thumbup: . :guinness: .

I rode all last season with a knackered paint job due to the new crappy petrol eating anything it touches.So I was hoping to have a half decent tank before I ride at the 1000 bikes do at Mallory as a fair few people watch.But after Mallory and my VMCC sections Founders day vintage bike event I have a couple of months before the bike is needed again.So I may just prime it and then sort it properly then and it may have stopped raining by then anyway.