2003 125 Stood Four Years

jsands

Did trials riding as a "young un" on my 2003 sherco 125, from what I remember it used to run fine however after getting jobs and a bird etc other priorities take over so The bike has been stood un touched in the garage for the past four years. I thought I'd get back into it and try and get it running again.

Before I started it I changed spark plug, transmission oil, fresh fuel and thoroughly cleaned carb out. After about 3 kicks it fired up on choke (to my surprise).

There's a few problems I've come across:

1. Once highly revved it seems to go nicely down to "mid revs" and then seems to take forever to go down to idle?

2. No rear brake at all, front is fine but back is not working at all?

3. Clutch won't work at all (i think it's stuck or dragging) once any gear is engaged the wheel isn't going to stop until engine is off, tried rocking it but to no avail?

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Did trials riding as a "young un" on my 2003 sherco 125, from what I remember it used to run fine however after getting jobs and a bird etc other priorities take over so The bike has been stood un touched in the garage for the past four years. I thought I'd get back into it and try and get it running again.

Before I started it I changed spark plug, transmission oil, fresh fuel and thoroughly cleaned carb out. After about 3 kicks it fired up on choke (to my surprise).

There's a few problems I've come across:

1. Once highly revved it seems to go nicely down to "mid revs" and then seems to take forever to go down to idle?

2. No rear brake at all, front is fine but back is not working at all?

3. Clutch won't work at all (i think it's stuck or dragging) once any gear is engaged the wheel isn't going to stop until engine is off, tried rocking it but to no avail?

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

you need to warm it up ride along in 3rd poss 4th gear accelerater pull in clutch and apply rear brake when you get it working all at the same time ,,this should release the clutch ,sounds like it could be sucking air in or the crank seals could of gone hard ,but try adjusting mixture screw on side of carb

I would tend to agree with the above comments. The clutch should free up on its own yet may take a bit of rididg. Try rocking the bike in 4th gear with engine off for a bit.

If carb is correct and all, the intake tract is ok, the crank seals are indeed suspect. There are some quick tests for this that may apply.

Ck rear brake master cyl for leakage. pull the pedal off and inspect inside the boot(torn) for fluid and debris.Seal kits were in short supply for a bit. ontact me if you cannot find one.

As above but lay the bike on it's side and take the clutch cover off and remove the clutch to release it, if it's been 4 years you'll be riding for days before it frees off on it's own. The clutch plates stick or corrode together when left for a long time.