Sherco 290 2006 Smoother Power

danhar707

Started trialing 4 months ago with a 2006 Sherco 290 I bought off a mate. Having a great time with it all, but slow learning curve. Struggling to put front wheel up where I want it and getting stuck on slippy steps in gills, etc. Then I got on at mate's 2002(?) Sherco 250 and WOW I'm suddenly able to float the front wheel in the air and do stuff I'm struggling with on mine. I just feel at home on it right away, every time.

I put a new clutch lever on mine (bush a bit worn) and made some tweaks and it is behaving a bit better, but still cant ride it in the controlled way I can the 250. I'm wondering if its down to the way the power is delivered on the 290 - maybe the 250 is more controllable or linear on the throttle. Its hard to put a finger on what the difference is.

Anyhow, anyone got any thoughts on what the differences are and mods I could make to my 290 to make it feel better. It has a tiny dent in the exh dowpipe - thinking that could affect linearity of the power delivery a bit?

Dan

I have only ridden Shercos 2006 and newer and then just for a few minutes practice, not a full trial. My impression is the 290 will spin the rear wheel easier and you have to use body positioning more and work harder to get the best out of it. Both will lift the front wheel with ease and controlably - is your 290 carburated properly or is it too rich or too lean just off idle.

Check the handlebar positon, footrest position and tyre type, condition and pressure are same before making comparisons. If the 290 is loosing grip because of sharp botom end powr fit an extra 0.4 mm of cylinder base gasket and go lean of the idle jet.

Cheers