Oil Filter Change

flappy

You can do it with it on, but I always take it off to clean the sump, guard and especially around the gasket join. Once the bash plate has been bashed about a bit, if you take it off, you may find it difficult to refit it, but yours is a new bike, so shouldn't be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I recently changed the oil on a 4rt (2006) and I just removed the two front bolts on the bash plate/skid plate/sump guard,....and left the bottom ones that get the abuse. This gave me space to do the oil change without the nightmare of putting the bottom plate back on 100%. Mine is pretty bashed up with no holes left for the allen wrench.

BUT! Now the oil leaks like crazy when I ride. How do you guys seal up the side case after an oil change? Use a new gasket, yes. But maybe I need adhesive or ??? Please any advice on your process would help.

If you go to a Honda car Main dealer parts department they will sell you some what they call zero thickness sealant which they used in the factory in Swindon were they make the cars, loads better that cheapo stuff from halfords and b&q and won't go off on the tube before u need it next

I recently changed the oil on a 4rt (2006) and I just removed the two front bolts on the bash plate/skid plate/sump guard,....and left the bottom ones that get the abuse. This gave me space to do the oil change without the nightmare of putting the bottom plate back on 100%. Mine is pretty bashed up with no holes left for the allen wrench.

BUT! Now the oil leaks like crazy when I ride. How do you guys seal up the side case after an oil change? Use a new gasket, yes. But maybe I need adhesive or ??? Please any advice on your process would help.

I always remove the bash plate because you really cant effectively keep the mating surfaces on the crankcase and cover clean when the bash plate is tight up against the cases. I do replace the rear bash plate screws occassionally so I can get the key in. I have found it fairly easy to fit and remove bash plate by slackening the front two set screws and then use a small G clamp at the rear between the frame and bash plate. This takes the weight off the bottom scews so that you don't strip the thread in the frame when you start unscewing the counter sunk allen screws. The new gasket has a bead of sealant already on it from the factory, The only place the factory use any other seal is just around the cable outlet at the top of the case and they use a silicon seal around the rubber grommet.