Fuel Mixture

harrytrialsboy

Have a look at the section OTHER on the top of the home page and go to Technical and then Ron Millam .Interesting piece on fuel mixtures there.

Bel Ray do a oil :huh: MC1 For high dillution mixes, if you want to safely run 75 to 100 to 1 ratio.

Jenkinsm , is that basically 75:1 or not ? becuase i used to use 50:1 and thought i only need to use 75:1 in as recommended.

At the moment i dont mix my fuel my step dad does it but if i had to is 75ccs of oil into 5 Ls classed as 75:1?

75ml of oil in 5 litres would give you 66:1 ratio,

ie

5 litres= 5000 ml

75 ml of oil

5000 divided by 75 = 66 so ratio is 66:1

That's how I understand it.

I run my enduro bike on 40:1 Ie 125ml of oil per 5 ltrs

and been running my borrowed trials bike on 50:1 100ml of oil to 5ltrs

Just divide 5000ml by 75ml and that will tell you your ratio. I'd sy that's around 65:1

Obviously this works the other way round too. If you want to run 75:1 just divide 5000ml by 75 and that's how many ml of oil you need.

So for 75:1 you need about 65ml of oil.

Just dug my calculator out and it's around 67 for both of those answers so not far off in me head.

Someone mentioned a while ago, that my old mans philosophy from the 70's "Shove a little bit extra oil in just to keep the motor sweet" isn't necessarily true, and apparantly the extra oil can have the effect of making it run hotter, so don't be fooled in to that one like I was.

LoL thanks was going to ask that question you saved the bother :huh:

So do less oil you put in the higher ratio is ? Like

75:1 -- 65ml

80:1 -- 60ml

? that right ? 5000 / (divide) 60 is 83.summat ? thats what i got but is this still classed as 80:1?

The gas calculator makes it more complicated than using a simple 'sum'.

If we can't decide what the mixture needs to be, the diffrence of 2ml of oil is going to make bugger all difference. Babies bottles make good measuring containers. If you flush them out with fuel you're getting as near as you'll ever need, and as accurate as a fuel station pump will get you to 5 litres.

No point nit picking about it, but your maths is right Lew, it's actually 83.summat to 1

Edited by bikespace

Thats great R2w i get the hang of it now and that convertor is great but i cant always use that if im out at my local park and havnt mixed my fuel yet but i know how to do it now as long as i have a calculator itr will make things a lot easier. Or could just write it down :huh: