Testing Fan

wrmec

hello. i have read a few things on here about testing the cooling fan using a car battery, could someone explain to me exactly how you do this please. i want to find out if it is my fan motor that is the problem thanks. my bike is a 2006 pro.

Nothing special here, conect two wires and it should run. Reverse polarity if needed, it should run oither direction.

Fans run on DC power, so if it it does not run on bike, you may need to look at thermo switch or rectifier.

Edited by copemech

You should see a brass nut on the radiator with 2 wires on the bottom. The brass nut is the thermostat switch. Take the wires off and using one small piece of wire loop the 2 wires together making sure a good connection is made and then kick the bike off. This makes the fan constant or on all the time when the bike is running. Basically by-passes the thermostat switch. If the fan doesnt run when doing this take the loop out and using 2 pieces of wire connect it to a car battery instead if the fan runs when connected to a battery you have problems with your rectifier or stator. If the fan runs when looped with one piece of wire change the radiator thermostat switch but you will loose coolant so buy a bottle to replace.