9V Battery Starter Pack

canada280i

So I assume by now that most people who are experiencing starting issues either have the original LSS type starter pack installed, or have the 9v battery version which is smaller, simpler, and avoids potential flooding by only charging the electrics and not the fuel pump.

Just as a matter of interest, if you were to use a rechargeable 9v battery on the 9v system, and say, kept the circuit open when travelling between sections, would the system recharge the battery or would the combo capacitor and 9v battery in the sytem have a negative effect.

I know changing a standard 9v battery on this system is no big deal, my questions is more just a matter of interest as to whether it would recharge or not.

electrical wizards....over to you!

Hi Deon, glad your LSS iw working fine, if yoiu need something else to do as a project you can make a much more compact version using AAA size batteries that appears to work just as well, I knowcked one up out of boredom one day and it worked flawlessly through a trial on Sunday.

My quesiton was more about the recharging of a 9v battery on the alternative 9v system, currently that system uses a standard 9v battery to aid starting and you just replace he battery when it goes flat (the battery lasts a really long time as it is only on during the start stroke nd then is taken out of the system by a switch and the capacitor takes over) so I was trying to determine if a rechargeable battery could be incorporated and recharged or if the presence of the capacitor would preventthis or cause some sort of issue

mines still a moody git to start even with the battery pack

sometimes 7-8 kicks sometime 3-4, I'm learning to live

with it as the rest of the bike makes up for it.

one thing i have noticed is that my rear wheel spindle seems

to have expanded as its now a very very tight fit in the bearings

jsp

Edited by jsp

JSP, are you running the 9v through the box with the built in switch or do you have it wired through a kill switch type setup that you press during the kick process? My first 9v system was a little hit and miss like how you described but eventually I tracked it down to a p*ss poor wiring job. I redid the whole thing and now it works like a charm through a kill switch as per the instruction from Ossa Canada here: http://www.ossacanada.ca/Ossa%20TR280i%209V%20battery%20connection.pdf

ive used the battery box with the built in switch, i thought id done

a good job with the wiring as i even soldered all the connections

to make sure. might have a quick look to see whats going on

any thoughts on my rear wheel spindle issue ?

jsp

just tried starting my bike from cold and used the following method

turn on battery and leave for 2 - 3 mins

turn throttle on to full and back to off

started second kick

i will give this method another go over the week end and

make sure it wasnt a fluke

jsp

jsp - have you tried the 12v battery? Our bikes pretty much never take more than 2-kicks since fitting the 12v battery and prior to this they were a NIGHTMARE to start. The only caution is we always get the kick starter to the top of the stroke before turning on the battery switch. If you don't do this, every once and a while you might flood the bike. If you do flood it, hold it WOT and it should start within 4 kids.