No Spark

greenlanes

First off I would go back to the coil and make sure it's properly earthed. Check the earth wires are secure.

You can also put a multimeter onto the wires that come fom the stator and check that your getting a voltage.

If all the wires are properly secure and you are getting a voltage from the stator then you could possibly narrow it down to the CDI unit. Or it could also be the coil unit.

I'm not sure exactly how to test the coil off the top of my head but I'm sure someone could pipe up and say how.

Edited by tazz229

Just follow the wires from the kill switch, one of them will almost certainly be bolted to the frame or some earth point. Which ever end of the two wires you find first just disconnect it and try it. All the kill switch does when you press it is complete a circuit to earth to stop the spark. Sometimes the switch may get stuck and permenantly complete the circuit resulting in no spark. By disconnecting one of the wires your guaranteed to have broken the circuit and can rule it out completely.

If that fails then I'd refer to my previous post for things to check.

Good luck.

Edited by tazz229

For a coil test you could try.....

The wire that plugs onto the coil unit itself connect the red terminal of your multi meter to it and connect the black to earth, kick it over and see if your getting an AC voltage from that wire.

If there is no AC voltage from that wire then go back to the CDI unit.

Find the wires coming from the stator into the CDI unit connect the muti meter to them in the same way and check for an AC voltage again.

If there is a voltage to the Coil but no spark then the coil is either badly earthed or shot. Or damaged plug cap possibly.

If there is a voltage to the CDI but not the coil then the CDI is shot, or badly earthed.

If there is no voltage to the CDI from the stator then the stator is at fault.

Make sure to disconnect the kill switch and try that first. Leave the kill switch disconnected while you try the rest too just to be sure.

Hope that makes sense.

That's what I would do if we're me.

on my montesa is the thread on the fly wheel clockwise or anti Thats the nut that holds it on

plus whats the easiest way to remove the fly wheel B) to get to the points and coil

cheers :marky:

What year Montesa is it? The coils isnt behind the flywheel btw...