Regular Maintenence On 280 '03 Edition

sag sag 280

Hi guys , new start needs a few pointers - re my Gas Gas 280 TXT 03 edition , how often should I be changing the gear oil ? After a days riding what are the main points that I should be paying attention to ? So far , after a blast with the pressure washer , Ive been lubricating the chain , spot of lube in the brake and clutch lever pivots , peg and gear lever pivots . Ive sprayed around the carb / plug with wd40 to aviod moisture ingress , am I correct in saying that the fuel mix is 50:1 ? - any more hints or tips that you can give me re maintemenace would be most apprecaited? Thanks in advance - Barry :huh:

There is no such thing as changing gear oil too frequently...clean oil is always best, so change often.

I agree with neonsurge, 50:1 is excessive for modern trials bikes. 80:1 with a good quality synthetic oil should be sufficient.

Keep an eye on rear suspension linkage bearings, swingarm bearing and steering head bearings, as well as wheel bearing. Keep these greased and you'll get long service out of your bike.

All great advice, I've got a 250 03 edition and my advice is keep some free play in the back brake pedal otherwise you can end up with sticking brakes and exploding brake hoses! I've just finished the SSDT on mine, all I changed all week was a plug, and it didn't need that! - What a bike! :rolleyes:;):D:D

:rolleyes:;):D thank you thank you - once again , being new to the trails scene , the site (and more so your advice ) has been invaluable . I have been in MX for years so know quite a bit , but I dont want to presume that I know it all on a trials bike !! Many thanks - Barry ( Glasgow )