First Trials Bike, First Trial, Pro Mudguards And Learning Backwards

carl90

Hi all,

Well I've had an interesting first few months riding trials.

I bought a txt 200 which needed a little end replacing. That was a nice simple swap, but on stripping the bike down I discovered that the petrol tank and exhaust both needed welding.

Once these were all sorted, the first time I rode it the gearbox oil turned into milk. So I stripped it down to replace it to find shagged clutch plates too.

I replaced these, went out, and came back home with oil down the fork leg and the previously repaired rear mudguard missing. I don't know if its usual on txt's, but the seal was a nightmare to fit?

Since then its behaved itself (except from occasionally refusing to start when very hot), so I entered my first trial a few weeks back.

The club were fantastic and showed me around the course. So thanks to Peterborough Trials Club.

I had a great day and finished 6th which was a good considering I looked at the first section in the morning in a completly bewildered manner.

The next trial is this weekend, so the aim is to improve on 6th.

I've been practising as much as possible since, but seem to have no trouble getting up/over obstacles getting towards handlebar height now yet struggle hopping the front a rear end.

Is this usual? Or am I learning in the wrong order?

Finally, are there patten rear mudguards available anywhere? I replaced the one which came on the bike then proptly snapped it off. I don't fancy coughing up £70-80 for a new OE. Or is it a case of waiting for one to come up for a good price second hand on a certain auction site?

Any comment would be much appreciated,

Regards, Carl

Carl,

the rear fenders of the older bikes were prone to break easier, ESPECIALLY in COLD! It was something to do with the plastic "formula" as well as the grooved design that doesn't/Can't flex hardly, plus when they (mfg) coated them with clear coat, they got more brittle (least that is what I recall as this has been tru back from 02 pro through the 2009 models, except I think they tried to get different plastics "formula" by 2006, not sure I am just more careful now, after breaking a few in my past too.

Above and beyond that, a pretty sure way to keep this from happening, is to remove the 2 side holders, and the bolt into the seat, that holds the fender on, this way it can pop off or nearly pop off before it breaks.... Others will chime in. I use the cheapest and thinnest zip tie in the side holes so I dont have to chase around for the fender all the time normal riding, but if I flip backwards, they break INSTANTLY and easily.

Another way of course, don't fall down like that,, heheheheheeee.

I cannot make heads or tails of your other questions about what your are practicing????

I've been practising as much as possible since, but seem to have no trouble getting up/over obstacles getting towards handlebar height now yet struggle hopping the front a rear end. Is this usual? Or am I learning in the wrong order?

Really? what?

I'm going to guess though... "Rear" hopping is usually harder, and not needed (in reality) until expert class (maybe difrerent outside of USA?). Front hops would have been extra great to use in Novice classes, but most don't even attempt that, until they've ran quite a few amatuer class, and now need that to help win...

Big obstacle or small obstacles, the test is usually not the big rock/log/ledge itself! The test is can you make the tight turn, or recover everything from another obstacle in time to get yourself right, to make that obstacle... even I can ride a plain old dirtbike over a big rock, as long as I have 20ft to line up and prepare... Trials though, we usually slowly take that 20ft and make it 0ft, as you move up in skill/classes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice Sting,

I'll fit the replacement with cable ties, I can't promise I won't not to bin it again though.

Hmm, sorry, I've just read what I wrote and no its not very clear.

I entered another trial this weekend and had the same issue. I tend to make dabs, when I get to a point where there is not enough space to turn the bike by just riding around a corner. So either just a very tight turn, and like you say, often immediatly before or after an obstacle.

I had a go on some of the red routes at the end of the day and got through the bigger obstacled fairly easily, but the part I found hardest was a 180 degree turn. Just a hop or two of the front wheel would have been sufficient.

I have miles of derelict clay pits near my house, which has just about every challenge you can think of smoewhere in it, so Ill have a search for areas which cause me the same grief and focus on them.

Cheers,

Carl