M49 Carb

oily

...While waiting for the creswell tank sealing kit to arrive, I've washed it out and got it ready and then turned towards sorting out the carb.

Not sure what the original carb would be on a M49 but this thing has got a very good condition Mikuni VM. Have no idea what size and have no idea how to find out the size. (?)

...Whilst giving it a good clean, I've noticed the tick over screw and spring are missing so another hick-up in getting it fired up.

...Two questions...

How do I find out which Mikuni VM do i have?

and, where do I look for a tick over screw and spring?

...I'm thinking Allens but is there anywhere else?

...Thanks in advance

Oily

If it is a bolt on carb to go straight onto the original manifold it is probably from an old Yam or Suzuki road bike as they were popular conversions back in the 70s

Allens may be able to sort one for you, I don't know if the thread size or shape of the screws differs on the later carbs. If you're ever over Birmingham way you coould do worse than to take the carb into Vale Onslow and see if they can help. They have absolutely masses of spares for British and 70s Jap bikes. Waste of time phoning though, you'd have to take the carb if you don't know what it's come from.

If you have an adaptor fitted to take a push fit carb with rubber hose fitting, it could be from an RD Yam

Or it could be a much newer carb and it should have an ID number cast into it. They're usually the VM round slide carbs which Allens should be able to sort out.

Put a picture on here, someone may recognise it - or if you can't email one to me and I'll put it on

Edited by woody

Can't tell you exactly what it's off but looks the same as the type I have on my Ossa and they were generally of some Jap bike from the early 70's, usually Yam or Suzuki road bikes, I think Suzuki TS trail bikes used them as well.

Vale Onslow is still there and in the same place although you can barely see it under all the scaffolding - it's crumbling slowly but surely and needs a bit of support to stay up now. The two brothers run it, Peter and Len (who was in the same class as my dad in school) Len's pushing 80 but his knowledge of the older bikes from memory is amazing.

For the cost of the part I'd just order one from Allens as I'd gamble the part from a later carb would fit and it's probably cheap enough for the risk.

With Onslow's, you'd have to take the carb in, I don't think you'll have any success getting an answer over the phone, given the unknown origin of the carb.

Have a close look around where the choke is mounted there is usually a small number stamped on a flat there or on the mounting flange. I have one that looks the same as yours which has worked well on a couple of m49's I think it is off a Yamaha (CT1?) it has 248 stamped on it which corresponds with the intake throat opening 24.8mm.There is also A2 stamped but I have no idea what that means.

...Update on this carb...

It's definitely a 24mm VM round slide.

.....BUT......

it's not one of the two generic types :rolleyes:

It's from a small Jap bike probably, as already been mentioned.

The very nice man at Allens is sending me the part we think it might be and we'll take it from there.

Not the first time I've dealt with Allens and can't recommend their service and general helpfulness enough.

Next......Do I have a spark?........

:thumbup: