New To Trials, Based In Banbury [Live] And Hull [Work]

2jc

Hi all, my names justin, and I'm new to trials. I'm thinking about having a go, and am interested in the classic and twinshock side of things.

I'd love some advice from anyone as to the do's and dont's with trying and buying. I can see that there's loads of nice bikes out there ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand pounds.

I've looked at Beamish, ossa mar and gripper, bultaco sherpa, montesa 247, etc etc.

I've had road bikes most of my life, but last year ended up with 12 points so sold my last bike!

I miss riding loads, and I fancy a go at something new.

Would really appreciate some advice from anyone.

Twinshocks and "Pre65" Classic trials are great fun much more so than modern trials and theres less swearing and "attitude" so much more FUN !!!

Pre65 bikes need a LOT of maintenance and constant fettling so if you enjoy that side and have at least 2 or 3 grand to spend go for it but if you want something cheaper around a grand and that is not quite so hands on after every trial, all competition bike need some regular maintenance, go the Twinshock route. IMHO the prime concern when buying is parts availability so be very careful if buying a Montesa as spare can be a problem. OK the Montesa is cheap but why? Answer parts. Athe the other end of the parts availability scale is Bultaco and Yamaha closely followed by Ossa so i would definately buy one of those three if i was starting. Suzuki is a good middle of the road bike but has frame craking issues and spares are getting hard to come by. Finally Fantic and Honda. Fantic is argueably the most competitive but fairly expensive and Honda is definately the most expensive to buy in the first place but are pretty reliable. As in everything you pays your money and takes your choice. What i will say though is unlike modern trials bikes Pre65 and Twinshocks hold their value whereas a modern bike drops in value daily till after 4 years you can struggle to give them away.

Just my two pennorth but keep us posted as to how you get on

hi there is a club based in north lincolnshire just over the humber bridge called north lincs classic trials club the have various venues and cater for all riders and abilities.i have ridden with tis club for the last ten years and have found them to be a very helpfull and nice bunch of guys.they have classes for pre 65 bikes twin shocks and next year are doing an air cooled monoshock class they also run easy medium and hard route sections so they cater for everyone,hope this helps

Thanks very much for your responses Charlie and OTF.

Charlie, your site looks great, i'll be doing some reading so thanks very much, I see your in banbury, do you do any competition or club riding around Banbury? I moved down to Banbury 18 months ago from yorkshire [am from essex though] but havent had much luck in finding many bike lads around here! I did get in touch with the Ixion club and thought I might try to get to one of thier trials events this winter. I had looked at the yorks classic site during my idle evenings browsing the twinshock trials scene, they look like fun events.

OTF, I am a tinckerer, and I need something in my garage to play with since selling last bike. I am restoring an old 1976 Unimog 406 which is based in our workshop in Hull. That takes up quite a bit of my time [and money!] when I'm away from my family back here in banbury. I travel quite a bit for work too so time is sometimes an issue, I was in Thetford, Norfolk all day today! Just got back.

So yes old stuff that needs faffing with is ideal for me, also the element of a bike which doesnt loose to much money appeals. I have to say that the Ossa MAR's and Grippers and Bultaco Serpa's do interest me, I like the style more, they look simple to work on and seem to lend themselves to tinckering and restoring.

Thing is that it seems to be a bit of a mine field as far as getting a bike which is original [i'd also like a road registered bike if poss] with matching numbers etc. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things being done right!

I have noticed that Bultaco spares seem readily available and thats one reason I have been looking at them, the Ossa's too seem pretty good for spares.

Am i right in thinking that the spainsh twinshock bikes have the gear and brake levers the opposite way round to modern bikes?

Thanks again guys for your responses

Thanks Mark, I'll take a look for them, I spend quite a bit of time over the Bridge with friends in Barton and Barnetby etc,

Can oddbod strangers without bikes turn up to your clubs trial events to ask stupid questions? I have quite a few!

Thanks very much for your responses Charlie and OTF.

Charlie, your site looks great, i'll be doing some reading so thanks very much, I see your in banbury, do you do any competition or club riding around Banbury? I moved down to Banbury 18 months ago from yorkshire [am from essex though] but havent had much luck in finding many bike lads around here! I did get in touch with the Ixion club and thought I might try to get to one of thier trials events this winter. I had looked at the yorks classic site during my idle evenings browsing the twinshock trials scene, they look like fun events.

OTF, I am a tinckerer, and I need something in my garage to play with since selling last bike. I am restoring an old 1976 Unimog 406 which is based in our workshop in Hull. That takes up quite a bit of my time [and money!] when I'm away from my family back here in banbury. I travel quite a bit for work too so time is sometimes an issue, I was in Thetford, Norfolk all day today! Just got back.

So yes old stuff that needs faffing with is ideal for me, also the element of a bike which doesnt loose to much money appeals. I have to say that the Ossa MAR's and Grippers and Bultaco Serpa's do interest me, I like the style more, they look simple to work on and seem to lend themselves to tinckering and restoring.

Thing is that it seems to be a bit of a mine field as far as getting a bike which is original [i'd also like a road registered bike if poss] with matching numbers etc. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things being done right!

I have noticed that Bultaco spares seem readily available and thats one reason I have been looking at them, the Ossa's too seem pretty good for spares.

Am i right in thinking that the spainsh twinshock bikes have the gear and brake levers the opposite way round to modern bikes?

Thanks again guys for your responses

You might struggle with matching engine and frame numbers as most bike have had parts replaced at some point but if thats your thing then fine but you might not get the best bike but the numbers match up to you on that one it's not really my thing.

Re the brake and gear levers. Bultacos and OSSA normally have the brake on the right and the gearlever on the left but they both have the gear shaft running right through the cases and will accept a right hand gear lever and can easily be adapted to take the brake on the left if you prefer but then again that wont be original which might be a problem if thats also important to you.

All depends on what you want really there are quite a few "garage queens" about at premium prices but most would be not really competitive in all but very easy trials and if you spend all that time money and effort to go for originallity why throw it at a big pile of rocks?

Sorry as you've probably guessed i'm a competition man through and through and to hell with originality if i can modify it to work better i will, within the rules of course B) , but if i can be of any help please ask. Most Classic clubs are populated by enthusiastic knowledgeable soals who just love to talk bikes so visit your next nearest one and chat to the riders you'll pick up a lot of hints and tips.

OTF your right.

I'm interested in the competition side, not show bikes. I guess I'm more concerned about being ripped off with so many stolen bikes out there. That said it may not be the case with the trials scene.

I've never owned an off ride bike of any sort before before so it's all new to me. I'd been told before about the amount of stolen crossers around which was ringing in my ears.

Anyway, thanks for your advice on the brake and gear levers, I dont know why I thought they were opposite way round?

My budget is around a grand an would prefer something that needs work, but can be or is road regd. I've seen a few Ossa's and Bultaco's for around that so we'll see what happens. I assume prices are higher at this time of year?

Thanks again.

OTF your right.

I'm interested in the competition side, not show bikes. I guess I'm more concerned about being ripped off with so many stolen bikes out there. That said it may not be the case with the trials scene.

I've never owned an off ride bike of any sort before before so it's all new to me. I'd been told before about the amount of stolen crossers around which was ringing in my ears.

Anyway, thanks for your advice on the brake and gear levers, I dont know why I thought they were opposite way round?

My budget is around a grand an would prefer something that needs work, but can be or is road regd. I've seen a few Ossa's and Bultaco's for around that so we'll see what happens. I assume prices are higher at this time of year?

Thanks again.

As always when buying any bike caviat emptor but always trust your gut feeling as it's usually right and remember if a deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. You should get something useable for a grand. Might need new tyres, dont go on tread depth but is the leading edge square or rounded off also they go hard after about a year or so, which you can always use as a bargaining tool the same with chain and sprockets.

The good thing about twinshocks is they are basic engineering which will be a doddle for you to work on and maintain.

Prices dont really vary with the seasons but perhaps with Christmas coming bargains may be able to be had as people are selling to fund Christmas but the buyers are saving for Christmas so go for it.

Oh and dont forget unless you already have one budget for a trailer or bike rack to transport the bike to events.