245 New Clutch Draggggggggg .

shyted

Bought this 245 in June and only started to ride it recently due to ongoing repairs and my job . Well after the bike got nice and hot on the first outing ,the clutch started to slip like hell . So bought a set of friction plates from Bob Wright at the Stafford show as i reckon the ones in it were probably original ,if not from when the bike was new .

No matter what , i knew that would be the least thing wrong . Ha ha ,how i hate being right !

The oil should have been clear ,as the whole thing's been rebuilt by the past owner , but it was black . Receipts for all the work ,and spare bits .

I don't even bother asking people about bikes now when i buy second hand because so many people just come out with utter ( am i aloud to say ***** ) ***** , it's not worth listening to !

On removing the case i found a broken finger on the clutch basket . Then on stripping the clutch pressure plate i found that the clutch steels and frictions in the wrong order ,having a steel running directly onto the driven plate assembly ,which is aluminum ,hence the black oil . Mmmmmm !

So ,cleaned out the box and bearings , rinsed it out with fresh oil and let it drain overnight .Built it up , took the bike out ,yep no slip . But could not adjust the clutch to that correct fine setting . Clutch dragging , could not push the bike proper in gear when hot or cold .

Then i read the Beta clutch blog by Dan Williams from the states . Well stuff me,every surface was covered in of all things ,friction material ! You would have thought the things were made of composite material . Saw the stuff of course but never gave it a second thought . Will put on the before and after pics soon .

Lets put it this way ,taking the excess material off , was well ,therapeutic!

Oh yes , i've got a spare basket and steels and will let you know the outcome , if your interested .

Shyted .

• 1 month later...

Well it's amaizing what you find out . The problem has gone by doing the friction plate mod .But it pays to be observant ! The interior of the friction plates was bult up by a millimeter or so and also the bike had an incorrect steel plate in there .wont explain but will post the pics when i get back to the UK .It works now .

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same bike and the fix done was to change the master cylinder, unfortunately they mixed the silicon fluid with standard fluid which lead to all the seals breaking down, my fix was to replace the seals and use the 4 Dot fluid, only to find a leak in the transfer gallery, when the clutch is pulled it's operation is great but when held on it loses pressure. I don't have any drawings and I don't know how to remove the clutch basket. I would like an exploded picture of the gearbox and clutch arrangement if anyone can help ?