Which Engine Oil Sy 175

mik60ish

So which engine oil is everyone using in their SY125/175 as they recommend Motul 300v, so whats the difference between a synthetic that you can use in a car? Or do you need a dedicated one for a motor bike!

What about a workshop manuel does Crosswaites do one? would be handy as the one you get the bike with isn't much use.

If you go to Thumpertalk's forum you'll find numerous threads on engine oil for 4 strokes, lots of opinions out there. Most auto oils have additives that are not good for wet motorcycle clutches. Yamaha markets a semi-sythetic 4 stroke oil in the US called Yamalube. Honda also has a similar product available in their US dealerships. There are many 4 stroke riders out there using some auto oils, but MX and trail riders don't use the clutch like trials riders. I've been using a Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil in my Kawasaki trail bike, however the product has been re-formulated. The jury's still out on whether the new Mobil 1 oils will be ok for bikes. Given the frequent use of the clutch in trials riding, I'd stick to motorcycle specific products

Ditto on HondaRS's advice. The best oil is frequently changed oil. I've seen several semi-synthetic motorcycle oils (Yamalube, Honda, Castrol) that are reasonably priced. I change the fully synthetic oil in my trail bike after every other ride. While on the subject; change the oil filter at least every other oil change.

Thanks guys I bought 4 litres Mobil racing 4T fully synthetic 15w-50, I haven't tried in anger yet but as RS said change frequently to which I will anyway! Who knows perhaps it might help the clutch from being so fierce until I get my hydraulic one.

mik60ish,I changed the oil in my sy 175 I used spectro full syn,10w 40w.Ran a trial this weekend seemed to work fine.Have you done any thing to carb.And I would like to change throttle to be quicker like motocross bike so when you need a handful you dont have to turn wrist so far.Have you noticed this.Let me know other things you have found.Thanks Jim