Sherco Hrd 50 Indicators.

renov8

Hello all,

Just finished rebuilding a rather sorry Sherco HRD 50 2003, badly treated by previous owners.

Sorted most usual mechanical problems but got bitten by the electrics.

The poor bike had the wiring fried and everything was a bit jumbled up when we bought it - hence the necessity for the new magneto, woodruff key, side cover etc. The system is AC as there is no battery.

All lights now working ok, headlights, dip, stop and tail, all instrument lights work too (this was a minor miracle), the horn works fine also - that pleased the MOT man!

The LED Indicators will flash good on fairly low revs, but fade badly when all other thing electrical are working.

I have been told to fit a rectifier, and capacitor in the system, but i cant find anyone to tell me what type of rectifier or capacitor.

The regulator kicks out 9v on tickover the indicator relay kicks out 5-9volts. With a few revs 12 v is attained without problem.

Please could someone give me some sound advice.

To be honest, I am not even sure which bike this is, need a lookup, but yet a couple things come to mind.

Firstly, your headlamp and tail lamp would be your large consumers of available output. There are many LED replacement lamps available now that use a lot less of the available energy leaving more for the rest. I have not tried this mind you. LED's require forward bias and you state you have no rectifier, therefore they are just flashing quickly under forward bias?

Another thing that comes to mind would be installing(building) a 9V rechargable battery pack into the system with a switch. The system would then require a rectifier for sure to charge the batteries.

Thanks for the reply copemech,

Yes this would be a good idea, a 9v rechargable system running off ac through regulator and then a rectifier to convert to dc to charge the 9v battery.

A simpler way has been partly explained to me but i still need to know the type of components that i need to purchase.

So can anyone tell me what type of rectifier ie make etc, and capacitor.

Or a suitable flasher relay, or any other way to make the indies brighter, i mean hey they work ok on the Aprilia, Gilera, Honda, Yamaha etc so why dont hey work ok on my poor Sherco Hrd 50 2003.

Electrics are great if you want a headache!

Is there a special type of relay?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. :icon_rendeer::wall:

Many bikes have much more capable lighting coils installed in the stator plate, although I am not sure about the little 50, some stator plated have an open slot for an added coil even.

Have you checked on a replacement headlamp bulb in LED?

It seems that even the trials bike stators are only rated at around 100W peak power, which is not going to drive a lot of lights reliably.

The small Sherco rectifier should work. Only the one wire and an earth point as I recall.

No Idea what rating for a capicitor, larger the better as what may fit, as they just kinda temp storage of power, but little reserve as compared to a battery pack.

Thanks copemech, I will forever hold you in high regard, you have helped, where others have not. It would be great if there was an experienced electronics engineer could be specific.

The TNT replacement magneto has 2 yellow wires coming from it I wonder if this is from another winding which can be rectified to dc for indies and relay.

I would ask all you sherco owners to check under your fuel tank and help but I guess you've got better things to do.

Thankyou copemech.

Unfortunatly prolly not too many around that have similar bikes to look at!

With nothing to go by, and not even being able to compare the two stators, makes things difficult.

So, you seem to have an extra yellow wire on this new one? Yellow wires are generally lighting or fan circuit drivers for the Ducati and Leonelly systems.

A couple things come to mind here. First checking the(extra) wire for AC voltage while running, then next, fab a jumper connection (even a paperclip) to join two yellow wires together to see if that increases available current. Depending upon how the things are wound it may not work and could cancel each other out..

Other thing being to use the other to split the system, let one run high load devices such as headlamp and the other to run other lighting..

Possibilities?

Edited by copemech