Ty250R Mono Pinky Exhaust Packing Question

bird

G'day,

Just got my restored TY running. It has a new Sammy Miller's alloy silencer, but it's running too loud for my liking. They advised that repacking (more packing) could be detrimental to performance. They make 'em so I guess they're right,

but I imagine there's always another view.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or advice on how to quieten the exhaust overall. I burnt out all the carbon/crud from the pipe/middle section before

re-installing, so that part of the equation should be fine.

Is it worth getting the middle sectioin opened up and packed, or does this harm

performance, too? Just thinking about all the options. Even considered that exhaust wrapping tape, but think it could do more harm than good.

I appreciate that TY's do make a 2-stroke racket, but I ride in buit up areas where some quite stealth is kind of needed.

Any feedback on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

bird

I've only ever repacked one central box and that was on a 348 Mont, in conjunction with doing the tail silencer. It certainly made the bike run a lot more smoothly and probably quieter if I remember.

My Pinky had a Birkett silencer which was fairly quiet and is, I believe, the one to have. I saw a restored Pinky last week that seemed to have a new one fitted so presumably they are available again.

Thanks mate. My only point of reference for the right sound is You Tube recordings of TYs in action, and they all kind of sound like mine. The SM silencer is really neat and I'm sure is 'quiet'. Perhaps the issue

is the central box. Look forward to any other opinions out there. Cheers.

(Sorry about the bike upside down shot. Got nothing to do with being down under, it's just how it turns out! Doght!)