Lost Gears

colly

i know people are going to say this is hard to say without getting into the gear box, but i have had all my gears perfect then all of a sudden ive lost 3rd 4th and 5th i can get them now and again but it is hard to get into them, and once they in they run perfect, going down the gears is fine, and once im into 3rd its not that bad to get into 4th and from 4th to 5th is not bad, so what do you think this could be? worn selector? ;) will it be safe to contiune riding? i know this is a hard question but please help :D

I know this seems obvious but have you tried changing your gearbox oil?

Does the selector always go back to the centre as mine sometimes gets stuck and I have to push it back to the centre before I can change gear.

If not either of these sounds like it could be a worn pawl, drum or fork. ;)

I would get it sorted before carrying on using it as the shift lever spring broke on my sherco and a tiny bit of it must have got caught between the main drive gear and clutch basket and ripped up the cogs, get it sorted just incase anything has broke inside as you will cause more damage by using it.

Edited by Heathy

Probably no need to go into the transmission, gear shift selector has stops on it to stop the shift drum rotating too far and missing gears, yours is an older bike so the stop could be worn or broken off.

Probably need to replace the shift shaft, the assembly can changed with the motor in the bike.

Probably no need to go into the transmission, gear shift selector has stops on it to stop the shift drum rotating too far and missing gears, yours is an older bike so the stop could be worn or broken off.

thanks ishy and heathy, so what part will i need to order for this? i take it it will be on the clutch casing side is it? and how much are they? thanks :D

I know this seems obvious but have you tried changing your gearbox oil?

i thought about that but its only been in a month or two? yeh i needed to get a new clutch basket and main drive gear becasue in the water pump drive there is a white drive gear and in there there is a metal rivot attaching it the rivot got out and got manngled in the drive gears, but this is all sorted now ;)

To take the gear shift selector out you need to take the gear shifter off then if i remember rightly you need to take off the clutch basket and it will easily pull out through the engine. I think if it is the shift selector you will need to replace the whole thing but i remember on my gas gas a tiny piece of metal had snapped off so i just got it welded back to normal. ;)

stripped cluctch casing off i think it possibly could be the spring on the selector, i am going to get my dad to strip clutch off and see from there, dosnt look like no damage from what i could see, hopefully looks like a cheap job to repair ;)

Sounds like the same problem I had, Make sure you find all of the spring or it could change from a cheap job to a very expensive one ;)

Check the shifter shaft isnt worn, there are two curved sort of spikes on the end which turn the barrel, thats what snapped off on my gaser.

As was mentioned above, remove the RH clutch cover, complete instructions are available on the Sherco or RYP site. Go to www.sherco-moto.com and choose "Wayne's corner" the manual "Engine Teardown and Assembly Manual" gives instructions on how to remove the cover.

Carefully inspect all of the parts associated with shifting, if the return spring is broken (I saw one that was broken but still in the correct location so it appeared to be functioning correctly) if you are not comfortable with this get a mate to look at the parts of take it to your dealer, from what you describe I would guess that the problem is in the shifting mechanism and not inside the actual transmission. If the shifting mechanism is working then you may have to dig deeper.

Wayne

Carefully inspect all of the parts associated with shifting, if the return spring is broken (I saw one that was broken but still in the correct location so it appeared to be functioning correctly) if you are not comfortable with this get a mate to look at the parts of take it to your dealer, from what you describe I would guess that the problem is in the shifting mechanism and not inside the actual transmission. If the shifting mechanism is working then you may have to dig deeper.

thanks wayne, i have got the spring and the spring like you said was in the correct position but snapped. will be getting put togerther tonight ;)