Scorpa Sy 250 2005 Maintainence

jockw

Alright folks,new to the forum and not long bought a scorpa sy 250 2005. Was just after some maintainence tips. I have rode motocross for years and still do so know my way round bikes.

Obviously i need to keep my air filter clean,change the plugs,change the engine/gear oil,keep everything clean/lubed and keep an eye on cooling and brake fluids.

Just after information on what type of engine oil i should be using and any other products that are good for maintainence?

Any info is much appreciated,thanks in advance

Jack.

Welcome to TC.

When you clean the carb, you will need to remove the top bolt from the rear shock and swing it back to gain access. This is a simple job and makes it a lot easier to get to the carb, but make sure you chock the rear wheel before removig the bolt. If the rear wheel drops down too far, the swing arm pinches the rear brake pipe.

Once the carb is off, it's also worth checking that the square block on the top of the gearbox has had it's corner ground off. This block has a habit of denting the centre exhaust box and causing it to split.

Be gentle with the rear mudguard bolts, they screw into brass inserts that are set in the plastic airbox. The original M5's can be tapped out to M6's if the thread has gone providing the insert is still good.

OilLevel.jpg

I always use Silkolene Light Gear oil in the gearbox and go by the oil level bolt and not the quantity (never got more than 450mls out/in). Others will tell you different but I've had my 05 from new and this has worked well so far.

Pete

• Like 2

So what's wrong with putting the 700cc's in that it says on the casing?

Agree totally with filing the corner off the engine number block, did it last week-end the casing was busy poking a hole through the expansion box. you need to remove the exhaust to do the filing though.

Ref rear mudguard. I've always drilled through the brass bolt holes in the airbox ,you can then attach the rear mudguard using thin cable ties rather than bolts. That way, if you do flip the bike over backwards, you just snap the cable ties rather than the mudguard. Cable ties being a LOT cheaper than rear mudguards.

Spare cable ties are easily stashed somewhere on the bike should you need to do a repair mid trial.

A smear of silicone sealer where the ties penetrate the airbox prevents the ingress of water.

Enjoy the bike.

So what's wrong with putting the 700cc's in that it says on the casing?

I don't know what happens if you run the bike with 700mls in, I've never tried it.

I had my 05 bike from new and the first time I changed the gearbox oil (after one practice session and one club trial) only 450mls came out. I put 700mls back in as it states on the side, opened the level screw and 250mls of fresh oil came back out. Since then, I've only ever put 450mls in.

It's coming up for eight years old now and has been used in many road trials. In the first few years I owned it, I rode most weekends and so far it's been a good bike (unlike the new 04 Beta that it replaced!) I used to change my bike every year, but feel that the Scorpa flatters my very limited ability so much, that a new bike wouldn't save me a single mark.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Another tranny fluid you might look at is Maxima light 75 wt transmisssion fluid. I've used it in all of my bikes from Fantics, to GG's and now my 08 Scorpa. I've had great success with it. I just turned on a friend to another trick I do. It's a good idea to leave the bar clamp bolts on your front brake and clutch mastercylinders loose enough so they will rotate around the bars instead of breaking off in case of a fall...and you will fall. I put a few layers of teflon tape around my bar, then put the handle bar contol clamp over the tape. Makes it so you can tighten it down enough to stay in place, but they'll spin and hopefully not break if you biff it. Helps so the clamps don't dig in and score the bars too.

Amzoil full synthetic at 80:1 and 100LL aviation fuel that you can usually get from any of the smaller airports. Luckily, I work at one and my Scorpa really likes the 100LL gas over the 85 Octane gasahol they sell at most gas stations.

Edited by ridgrunr