Clutch Basket Nut Torque Settings

dusty_viper

Hey everyone,

I'm due to change my clutch basket over tomorrow (as the only one has pitting in it) on my 1996 JTR 250. Anyway, I was after the torque setting of the nut for the clutch basket if anyone has it?

A bonus would be a manual with all the torque settings in! I do like to get the torque wrench out :)

I did check various manuals but Gas Gas don't have on their site for this model.

Thank loads in advance

Hey everyone,

I'm due to change my clutch basket over tomorrow (as the only one has pitting in it) on my 1996 JTR 250. Anyway, I was after the torque setting of the nut for the clutch basket if anyone has it?

A bonus would be a manual with all the torque settings in! I do like to get the torque wrench out :)

I did check various manuals but Gas Gas don't have on their site for this model.

Thank loads in advance

I'm not sure what the actual setting is, I usually go by "feel", but would estimate that to be about 18 ft lbs. The shaft has fine threads (as I remember, the shaft is also slotted) and there is a locking washer and the basket is not prone to side loading (the loading is between the shaft and hub internal contact so 18-20 lbs should do it is my guess.

Jon

I asked this question a while back and somebody posted a great link, unfortionatly looking back the link doesn't work anymore. I can remeber the exact figure but I remember I couldn't hold the basket and torque at the same time (torque wrench too long and awquard) so I just tightened it with a 1/2" rachet and its been fine. As said above you will feel when it's there

Get a helper to put some thick gardening gloves on and hold it tight, better still some welding gauntlets if they're available. I was on my own so had to just struggle and grip it on my own. It's very tempting to lock it up with a screwdriver or pry bar but for gods sake don't. Lol.

Edited by craigh88